Crazy

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
skelband

Feb 08, 2012
1:58 PM EDT
I just read this from Gizmodo interview with Sam Moreau at Microsoft about the Windows 8 proposed UI.

http://gizmodo.com/5882797/designing-windows-8-or-how-to-red...

Here is a quote about feedback and what he thinks drives negative feedback. To be honest, I was gobsmacked.

=============================

Giz: What has the negative feedback been like? What do people not like?

SM: To be honest, you know what I think it is? When you change something—this is my own personal observation—a lot of us know how the PC works, become the help desk for all of our friends and family. Inherent in that is a sense that I know. I've got this expertise now, I've got this power. We've changed something now, and leveled the playing field for all those personal help desks, so they're no longer the guy. It's human nature—I had invested in this, I knew this, and some degree of my self was aligned to the fact that I know how this stuff works. I do think that's an aspect of what's going on.

=============================

Now we all know the mains reasons why new GUIs get negative feedback. It is a combination of people's natural resistance to change, and in some cases, the new GUI is crap. But the above response smells so much like a combination of sour grapes and genuine vindictiveness, I have to wonder what kind of kool aid this guy has been drinking.
cr

Feb 08, 2012
3:47 PM EDT
All those friends-and-family help-desks were taking money away from MS stockholders -- all those cries for help should have led to pay-per-play calls to MS support lines!
DrGeoffrey

Feb 08, 2012
8:08 PM EDT
Heh, heh.

Ask me if I feel sorry for those poor, pitiful, fleeced MS users.
BernardSwiss

Feb 08, 2012
8:51 PM EDT
Actually, I've often suggested that this is a large part of why so many "computer experts" have trouble accepting Linux -- they are really (though they don't quite realize it) just "Windows experts" and much of their vaunted expertise no longer applies -- they are in a very real sense rendered "just newbs" again. Add this hit to their self-image to a little resistance to change, and a little aversion to re-learning something they thought they already thoroughly understood, and some people get quite frustrated, upset and angry. This would go a long way to explain why some Windows fanbois are so strongly "against" Linux, rather than merely not liking it very much.
JaseP

Feb 09, 2012
10:02 AM EDT
Agreed. I am studying for the RHCSA & RHCE. If any of you have the Red Hat certs, you now that the tests are 2.5 & 5 hour laboratory exams, that test your real world knowledge of Linux in a more or less practical setting. MS certs are largely multiple choice certs (with req. classroom hours). So, an MS cert holder can basically skate by with no real experience or skill (paper tigers). The chances of someone passing the RH certs with no skills is nil. With the Red Hat certs, if you can't configure the machine correctly and have it survive a reboot, you fail that segment.

I hope I don't offend anyone in saying this, but MS Certs are like US Air Force Officer "salute school," when the Red Hat certs are like US Marine Boot camp followed by OCS. If any of you have the RHCE, and a job interviewer asks you what that is,... you should probably get up from your chair and end the interview right then & there (unless you're desperate for the money), because they don't know what they have in front of them, and don't know what they need.
skelband

Feb 09, 2012
11:59 AM EDT
Actually, I agree Bernard & JaseP. For "professionals" in the Windows sphere, I have actually seen this in action.

I think, however, that Moreau was talking about home, non-professional users, where I don't really see a parallel with everyday life.
vainrveenr

Feb 09, 2012
12:38 PM EDT
Quoting:I just read this from Gizmodo interview with Sam Moreau at Microsoft about the Windows 8 proposed UI.
then
Quoting:But the above response smells so much like a combination of sour grapes and genuine vindictiveness, I have to wonder what kind of kool aid this guy has been drinking.

Maybe instead of just "drinking kool aid", this Moreau is involved with much more sinister activities ;) using those "pitiful, fleeced MS users".

You cannot post until you login.