As usual, Jeff thinks that his way is the only correct one.

Story: Confused about iPads in EducationTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
darkduck

Feb 09, 2012
6:09 PM EDT
There are good styluses for iPad on the market. http://myonext.com/catalogue/styluses/capacitive_pan/

And now look at http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428598_294519... This is a link to the drawing created on iPad with this stylus.

I am anti-fan of Apple products, but nevertheless I think you need to make a proper research before submitting a post claiming some product in inability to do something. And don't push your way of doing things as the only correct. Being it usage of tablet/netbook, or operating system, or review of OS. Be tolerant.

I think this will come with age...
DrGeoffrey

Feb 09, 2012
6:24 PM EDT
Quoting:Be tolerant.

Wise words.
JaseP

Feb 09, 2012
7:14 PM EDT
Those styluses's tips tear in about a month's worth of use... It's just capacitive material around a rubber tip... They're junk. They're only marginally better than your finger tip.
gus3

Feb 09, 2012
7:26 PM EDT
Unless your skeleton is made of adamantium.
Khamul

Feb 09, 2012
7:47 PM EDT
I don't know about those particular styluses, but shouldn't it be easy enough to make some with replaceable tips?
jdixon

Feb 09, 2012
8:42 PM EDT
> Unless your skeleton is made of adamantium.

Is that you, Logan?
JaseP

Feb 09, 2012
11:25 PM EDT
@ Khamul:

Invent it. Patent it. Get funding. Mass produce it. Get rich...
dinotrac

Feb 10, 2012
4:29 AM EDT
@JaseP --

You sure he could patent it? I'd think that silicone boobies would be prior art.
jimbauwens

Feb 10, 2012
7:08 AM EDT
@Khamul: http://www.motorsportsartist.com/carart/tips-and-tricks/diy-...

I agree with Jeff that anything you can do on a iPad, you can do on something else. But, the iPad is in many cases more simple hardware/software wise. This is what many people want (although not me), and they pay the price for it. My grandparents have an iPad, and I don't think they would have been able to use as good any android tablet (from half a year ago). There are quite some nice stuff to the iOS that you don't find in Android (but opposite too).
JaseP

Feb 10, 2012
9:39 AM EDT
@Dino:

Sure,... of course,... All he'd have to do is add "on a capacitive stylus," just like all the prior art patents that add "on the Internet." Simple. Done. After all, those "on the Internet" patents get approved, right?!?!
Jeff91

Feb 10, 2012
10:06 AM EDT
Hey Darkduck -

Have you tried that capacitive stylus type? Because I have. In fact that exact one you linked to I've tried.

I tried it on the Dell Duo, I tried it on a WebOS tablet, I tried in on an ArchOS tablet, iPad, and about half a dozen other misc Android tablets I could get my hands on. You know what? Every device I used it on could not come close to quality of using simply a pen with a cap on it with the T101mt's resistive screen.

Have you used both devices first hand? Or are you simply posting something with very little background research/first hand experience like you always do?

Finally, how was I being intolerant? I never bashed the iPad, I never said it was a bad product, I simply made some realistic comparisons between it and a similar product. After making these comparisons I came to the conclusion that there are better devices out there for the same jobs on the iPad.

Would you care to link to where I said I was the only correct one?

~Jeff
JaseP

Feb 10, 2012
10:42 AM EDT
Capacitive is better for fingers, resistive is better for inking/drawing/productivity. Hands down. Jeff's right about that. Devices that have capacitive/resistive hybrid capability, or capacitive with Wacom stylus capability are better. But you pay for better. Big time.
Khamul

Feb 10, 2012
11:56 AM EDT
Resistive touchscreens are crap if you want a screen that doesn't look like a piece of plastic film with creases and scratches all over it in a few months. Capacitive screens are made of glass, which doesn't scratch easily.

I guess resistive might be OK if you could replace the top layer of film every month.

No, capacitive is not as accurate as resistive, but resistive screens will never come close to capacitive ones in longevity. They're only good for devices you're going to throw in the trash within a month.
Jeff91

Feb 10, 2012
12:30 PM EDT
@Khamul Are you speaking from personal experience about resistive screens in that statement? I've been using the same T101MT for over 2 years now and it works fine still and the screen looks fine.

~Jeff
JaseP

Feb 10, 2012
1:52 PM EDT
I gotta side with Jeff on this one. There are good and bad resistive screens. I have a Gigabyte M912m, similar to Jeff's T101MT in design and quality. I never used a screen protector on it because I didn't have to. "Scratches" on the screen were just residue from the softer stylus (stylus softer than the screen material), and with a moist finger or lint free cloth those are buffed out easily. Are the blacks or colors as intense on a resistive screen as a capacitive screen??? Depends on the screen. My Nokia N900 is resistive and clear as a bell (transflective, and readable in intense sunlight). The M912m is a little duller (colors and blacks) than my Dell Duo or my Acer Iconia A500. But add a few fingerprints, and it's a wash...

All touch screens reduce clarity of the display, somewhat. The capacitive displays tend to be better, but in the right light, you can see the distortion the touch sensing layer causes. The only problems I ever had with a resistive digitizer was on a Palm TX (notorious for that), making me have to replace the screen with that from a dead Palm Life drive I had lying around. But that was just Palm being cheap... You get what you pay for.

Jeff91

Feb 10, 2012
1:56 PM EDT
I'd forgotten about my n900 being a resistive screen! My first n900 still has a fantastic screen after 2 years of usage. I'd still be using it today if the USB port hadn't fallen off the main board xD

~Jeff
darkduck

Feb 12, 2012
8:16 PM EDT
Jeff91 wrote:Would you care to link to where I said I was the only correct one?
Do you actually need this? Don't you see that whole your article (and all the others, at least those I had wasted time reading) is full of sense of superiority? Like "I'm right, you're wrong". Just an example from this particular piece of fud:
Jeff91 wrote:I'm just not "hip" enough to see the need for them

.... left the discussion.
Jeff91

Feb 13, 2012
1:16 AM EDT
Ahh, well if an air of superiority is the worst thing you can find about my articles that is great. I never make any claims that anything I write is anything more than my own opinions - it is my personal blog after all.

At least the things I write are researched or describe first hand experiences, unlike the trash you post week in and week out.

"Do you really need this?"

Because yet again you make a claim with nothing to back it up. Simply speculation with no research or experience behind it.

~Jeff
montezuma

Feb 13, 2012
10:08 AM EDT
Ah darkduck does the good old drive-by flaming!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!