Note to author...

Story: Review: Dream Studio 11.10 – Just another *buntu CloneTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
cmost

Feb 26, 2012
10:35 AM EDT
Not to nitpick, but if you're going to publish articles and wish to have them taken seriously, then do yourself a favor and run them by an editor for grammar checking before you publish. When you use "alot" instead of "a lot" (note, it's two words) you seem unintelligent and lose credibility immediately. In addition, you really should research a distribution thoroughly before you draw up a review based on a hastily installed VM session. A real tech enthusiast would give a piece of software a much more in depth study; not the passing glance you gave Dream Studio. Instead of, as you contend, being a simple clone of Ubuntu which differs from its sibling only in theming and a few programs, Dream Studio 11.10 actually manages to differentiate itself from its sister OS rather significantly. Here's a thought, try perusing Dream Studio's website to find out how it actually differs from Ubuntu. I'm not going to do your work for you by informing you here.
dinotrac

Feb 26, 2012
11:44 AM EDT
All the more impressive when you consider that Dream Studio's mission in life is multimedia production. That's why it has things like Jack, Ardour, cinelerra. It presumably includes all of the appropriate OS choices and settings for the low-latency platform needed to make that stuff work at an acceptable level for professional use.

In other words -- Somethng that you CAN NOT review by running in a virtual machine on your Mac. Seriously -- this kid should have read the mission statement.
tuxchick

Feb 26, 2012
2:48 PM EDT
Dream Studio is a first-class distro. Dick MacInnis has done a wonderful job. I wish he hadn't tied it to Ubuntu, though, because Unity sucks so terribly. But as dino said, it's more than a slapdash Ubuntu re-spin-- it's the best audio production distro by far. Many have come and gone, and all had big flaws: 64 Studio, Ubuntu Studio, and gobs more I forget because they're not worth remembering. Dream Studio is the by far the best. The only way I know of to improve on it is to set up Arch Linux as a multi-media distro, and it makes a superior one. But you have to do all the tweaks yourself, where Dream Studio installs ready to go.
tuxchick

Feb 26, 2012
3:51 PM EDT
I'm puzzled what the point of this review is-- it's content-free.
cmost

Feb 26, 2012
4:32 PM EDT
@tuxchick

I'm hoping that in the future, the developer considers switching to the Cinnamon shell and then ditch Unity altogether.
tuxchick

Feb 26, 2012
6:00 PM EDT
cmost, this is a great example of the ripple effect of short-sighted DE developers. Gnome 2 was popular, and the Ubuntu-ized version worked reasonably well. Even picky old grumps like me didn't whinge too much. But a year is old mold when it comes to multimedia, let alone two or three. So when the maintainer of Dream Studio looks at upgrading from 11.04, which still offered classic Gnome, he is faced with a cr@pload of choices, and I don't mean that in a good way: Unity, Gnome 3, KDE4, Cinnamon, maybe XFCE or LXDE...it's a feast of extra work for no good reason other than some devs got bored, threw away years of work and went haring off on a competely different tangent. Cinnamon is nice, but does it have a future? Is it worth investing a lot of work in? Though I suppose it's a safer bet in that regard than Unity or Gnome 3.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!