Need more choice...

Story: Help choose an alternate UI for Dream StudioTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
kennethh

Mar 01, 2012
12:07 PM EDT
I would have voted for razor-qt had it been on the list. But, I suppose it has not been around long enough or even really heard of just yet.
dinotrac

Mar 01, 2012
12:56 PM EDT
@kennethh

Youth ain't always a plus. If I were rolling a distro for serious users -- and Dream Studio is intended to support serious multimedia creation -- I'd want to start with something fairly well established.

That said, razor-qt does look like a contendor. Lightweight and fast are always good things when you want to do work that may try to grab all the memory you've got.
djohnston

Mar 01, 2012
6:52 PM EDT
I voted Bodhi. What can I say? Jeff's e17 implementation in a minimal install is pretty much flawless and just the thing for a studio release. I also agree that RazorQt could be a contender. I've found it to be stable, although it's still lacking some basic config tools.
tracyanne

Mar 01, 2012
8:50 PM EDT
xfce
nikkels

Mar 01, 2012
9:21 PM EDT
voted xfce

I like Bodhi, but I think xfce is better suited for a project like this
Koriel

Mar 02, 2012
1:04 PM EDT
Yep need more choice my preferred option would be Linux Mint with XFCE which is my current stable and extremely efficient in terms of CPU & Ram usage environment. You may of also come across the tests that Phoronix did on opengl efficiency of various desktops, again XFCE came out pretty much tops in that shoot out, cant wait for 4.10
cr

Mar 02, 2012
3:56 PM EDT
If we're agitating for more choices, let's see Kubuntu/Trinity in there. On a first spin it looks familiar, meaning it gets out of your way so you can work.
jacog

Mar 05, 2012
5:29 AM EDT
I blind-plonked Dream Studio onto my system this weekend, and also had my first taste of Unity. It's... ermmm... awkward. So anyhoo, I did a quick "apt-get install lubuntu-desktop" and am a happy puppy again.

On the poll I voted for KDE though as I generally prefer it, but implementation can make or break it, which is why I opted to not got for kubuntu-desktop when replacing Unity.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!