Kubuntu

Story: The Kubuntu CommitmentTotal Replies: 28
Author Content
zenarcher

Mar 11, 2012
9:20 AM EDT
Good story! I've been using the KDE desktop for 7 or 8 years and have always preferred it over others. That doesn't make it better nor worse than any other, but solely my choice. I've also read, time after time, how OpenSUSE is superior for those who use the KDE desktop and how Kubuntu is the worst of the lot. In my own experience, Kubuntu has been great. No problems? Of course there have been problems....as with all distros. But overall, I've been much happier with Kubuntu than with OpenSUSE or most any other distro I've tried. I've encountered more headaches with both Mandriva and OpenSUSE than I've found with Kubuntu...and when I do encounter problems, I find it much easier to search for help, if nothing else.
Fettoosh

Mar 11, 2012
2:18 PM EDT
For over ten years, I have been using KDE on two Distros, Suse since 1997 and Kubuntu since Novell signed their covnant with MS. Gnome was never appealing to me and KDE was always strides ahead of Gnome. I tested various Distros. periodically like Mepis, Mandrake, & Fedora. PCLOS was my favorite in the interim period between Suse & Kubuntu, but unfortunately it wasn't all I wanted in a Distro. Couple reasons I like Kubuntu over others. It is Debian based, meaning robust and solid base, and it keeps up with the latest & greatest updates from KDE. Chakra is another very good Disto but it is not there yet on same level as Kubuntu, and it is not Debian based. In my opinion, APT is the best & easiest package management system.

All along during the development period of KDE 4, even during the rocky period, I persisted and stayed confident that KDE 4 will be years ahead of all desktops, including commercial ones. With KDE 4.8.1, I believe mostly everything is working great except for couple areas, KMail and semantic search. Both of these are being worked on and getting consistently better.

Edited Semantic not [Symantec] search. What was I thinking, it must be Spring fever. It is 60 deg and bright sunny in MI . Thanks Khamul

cmost

Mar 11, 2012
3:38 PM EDT
Anyone looking for an absolutely stellar KDE distribution should try Sabayon. Of course Sabayon has editions with all the other popular desktops too including razor-qt. Like Fettoosh I had a long-time love affair with Debian based distributions because of the ease and power of Apt. I tried numerous Debian based KDE distributions looking for one that fit. I was about to give up when I stumbled upon Sabayon three years ago. Sabayon is based on Gentoo but with a twist. It's binary, comes as a live-DVD that's easy to install and has the most powerful package management system I've ever seen. Sabayon developers have created their own package management tool called Entropy and they maintain a vast repository of binary packages that are as quick and easy to install as DEB packages are on Debian. Entropy can be called from the command line with 'equo' for quick installation of packages or if users prefer, there is a very slick GUI called Sulfur that's similar to Synaptic. Also like Debian, there are three levels of repositories - stable, weekly, Limbo (the cutting edge). For those who are accustomed to Gentoo's powerful portage package management system, it's still available too (though users shouldn't mix the two package managers - either stick with one or the other.) Sabayon is a rolling release. I installed version 5.0 years ago and haven't had to re-install since. I always had trouble upgrading Kubuntu. I could get it to upgrade from one version to the next, but if I tried to upgrade again to the next version, something always went wrong requiring a re-install. Sabayon has a thriving and friendly community of users (who don't have the scathing attitude of the Gentoo forums.) Check it out!
ComputerBob

Mar 11, 2012
4:14 PM EDT
Quoting:All along during the development period of KDE 4, even during the rocky period, I persisted and stayed confident that KDE 4 will be years ahead of all desktops, including commercial ones. With KDE 4.8.1, I believe mostly everything is working great except for couple areas, KMail and Symantec search. Both of these are being worked on and getting consistently better.
Seigo, is that you?
Khamul

Mar 11, 2012
4:20 PM EDT
Fettoosh wrote:With KDE 4.8.1, I believe mostly everything is working great except for couple areas, KMail and Symantec search. Both of these are being worked on and getting consistently better.

I sure hope not. The last thing KDE or any version of Linux needs is Symantec's crappy antivirus products.

Semantic search, OTOH, might have some merit, but I still think it's a little too soon, and they should concentrate on getting all the bugs worked out and fixing Kmail.
tuxchick

Mar 11, 2012
6:17 PM EDT
LOL Symantec search. "Hey Symantec, what have you done with Peter Norton?"
caitlyn

Mar 11, 2012
7:20 PM EDT
The best KDE implementation I've seen is in Pardus. Pity that distro faces an uncertain future at the moment. I also like the plain vanilla SalixOS implementation.
tracyanne

Mar 11, 2012
8:13 PM EDT
I'm currently using Linux Mint 12 KDE with the KUbuntu KDE PPA, which means I was able to upgrade to KDE 4.8.1. I'm really happy with it. The only real problems I've had are KDE picking up all the now non existent GNOME applications, from the config files in my home directory, and adding them to the file associations, and the latest version of Evolution losing my emails and evolution contacts (but that's not a kde issue).

I still have the files but Evolution created it's directory elsewhere that ~/.evolution, and even when I copy everything to the new path evolution steadfastly refuses to play nice.

The upshot is I'm going to have to try a different email client, if only to recover all my data, So I may as well start with kmail.
claudecat

Mar 11, 2012
9:14 PM EDT
Kubuntu is better than its reputation, and Mint 12 KDE is also great. openSUSE's KDE is nice too, but not leaps and bounds better than any other. As for Sabayon... "packages that are as quick and easy to install as DEB packages are on Debian"?!? I beg to differ. For me, Equo/Sulfur/Entropy Store (what's with all the names anyway?) is a lumbering beast as far as speed goes, and the mirrors are often overtaxed.

Pacman beats all for speed, and I still think that Arch is the best KDE distro. Recent upgrade from 4.8 to 4.8.1 (with no need for ppa juggling) took 5-10 minutes. 'buntus took closer to 20, and I dumped Sabayon rather than wait out what would have been at least an hour long upgrade process.

Fedora's KDE is also very very nice. If Arch used deltas like Fedora and SUSE, it would be perfect.

I agree that Pardus was great (if a bit outdated kernel-wise), but no updates in over a month now is not a good sign...
dinotrac

Mar 13, 2012
2:08 PM EDT
@fettoosh -

Ok, I'm impressed by your tenacity:

Quoting: I have been using KDE on two Distros, Suse since 1997

Considering that the project didn't even get started til late in 1996, that's a pretty early adapter, and well before me. I didn't start using it until the winter of '98, though I used it on Debian, not SuSE. As a SuSE user, you were spared the horsezit antics of the Debian team wrt QT licensing and its effect on the stability of KDE packages, so you made a better choice than I did.

I used to love KDE and still miss it. XFCE is nice and all, but it isn't the same. But then, these days, neither is KDE.

gus3

Mar 13, 2012
2:47 PM EDT
Neither is FVWM.

But I couldn't say anything about Sawfish, since I learned Lisp just a couple years ago.
Fettoosh

Mar 13, 2012
4:13 PM EDT
Quoting:Considering that the project didn't even get started til late in 1996 ...

To tell you the truth, I wasn't sure whether it was 1997 or 98, I remember it was fairly new when I tried it right after I tried Red Hat Linux 5.0, which I believe it was in 1996. The funny think is that I had never heard of Suse and at one time we were invited to dinner at a friend's who is a dentist, yes a dentist who was fiddling with Linux at that time. He gave me a copy and after I tried it, I never looked back at Gnome except for testing it.

Quoting:I used to love KDE and still miss it.

I say let the bygone be gone and give it a try, It is pretty good now and the developers are maturing business wise. :-) One of these days you will be using the Spark.

tracyanne

Mar 13, 2012
6:25 PM EDT
Quoting:One of these days you will be using the Spark.

I have 2 on order.
tracyanne

Mar 13, 2012
8:12 PM EDT
Here's one for the KDE gurus, I can't add passwords via Kwalletmanager.

I'll amend that. I can when I first create a wallet, but after I've closed it and reopened it I can't.
Fettoosh

Mar 13, 2012
10:37 PM EDT
Quoting:I can't add passwords via Kwalletmanager.

The password you set when creating a wallet is to access the whole wallet and to grant an application access to a wallet to set or get a password. Application passwords are supposed to be set by the application it self. The only thing you can do about an application password is to delete it and have the application reset it as I understand it from the Docs.

Access Control

I hope I answered your question. KDE is so diverse I don't consider my self a guru yet. I mostly use what I need and Kwallet is one that I don't use that much. I really should since it is pretty and helpful in streamlining access to many applications/sites that require a password.

tracyanne

Mar 14, 2012
2:54 AM EDT
No, sorry Fettoosh, the wallet I can't add passwords to is my wallet, the one I created, and which contains the collection of passwords I use for accessing all sorts of websites and to simply store passwords I've given people when I install Linux for them. Not being able to add a new password to it is not optimal.
Fettoosh

Mar 14, 2012
8:28 AM EDT
Quoting: Not being able to add a new password to it is not optimal.

I see, you want to set up a wallet for others to use right off the bat and without having them to worry about it.

It might be something to suggest to the developers. I am sure they can add an option to turn password editing permission on/off.

tracyanne

Mar 14, 2012
9:01 AM EDT
Quoting:I see, you want to set up a wallet for others to use right off the bat and without having them to worry about it.

In a word... No

It's the wallet I've used for years to store passwords in. Now suddenly I can't add passwords to it, unless I create a new wallet and merge the old one to the new wallet.
ComputerBob

Mar 14, 2012
9:43 AM EDT
Quoting:I say let the bygone be gone and give it a try, It is pretty good now and the developers are maturing business wise. :-) One of these days you will be using the Spark.
Seigo, is that you?
Fettoosh

Mar 14, 2012
10:34 AM EDT
Quoting:Now suddenly I can't add passwords to it,

I would check to see if KWallet is activate by checking "System Settings" =>"acount Details" => "KDE Wallet" => "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem" is checked.

Also try Export then Import back

Fettoosh

Mar 14, 2012
10:37 AM EDT
Quoting:Seigo, is that you?

Wrong, you have one more chance CB, try again.

ComputerBob

Mar 14, 2012
11:21 AM EDT
Quoting:Wrong, you have one more chance CB, try again.
Oh, no -- I only have one more chance!

So you say that you're not Seigo, but you are someone who likes to have power over other people. Hmmm.... that doesn't really narrow it down much.
Fettoosh

Mar 14, 2012
12:06 PM EDT
Quoting:but you are someone who likes to have power over other people.

No, it's just a matter of three strikes and you are out. I am counting and you had two chances already. 1st you guessed Shutleworth, then Seigo, now who is it going to be next, BG or Jobs? If you believe in ghosts that is.

ComputerBob

Mar 14, 2012
1:22 PM EDT
What happens when I'm "out"?
Fettoosh

Mar 14, 2012
2:36 PM EDT
I just won't tell who I am.

ComputerBob

Mar 14, 2012
3:43 PM EDT
I can live with that.
DrGeoffrey

Mar 14, 2012
4:03 PM EDT
Quoting:I just won't tell who I am.

Talk about anti-climactic.

Fettoosh - Perhaps you should refer back to the original Star Trek series. Specifically, "You want out, you're out. All the way out. Know what I mean?"
ComputerBob

Mar 15, 2012
11:43 AM EDT
I think he's a middle-eastern style of food.
Fettoosh

Mar 15, 2012
8:54 PM EDT
Quoting:I think he's a middle-eastern style of food.

That is right and it is most delicious and healthier style of food. More specific, it is Lebanese. By the way, they do watch Star Trek too.

Lebanese Celebrities

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!