I was surprised by the variety of existing themes

Story: How to easily create your own Google Chrome themeTotal Replies: 27
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 16, 2012
1:49 PM EDT
Long ago, in the dark ages of Netscape Communicator on SunOS, using olvwm, I had "orange" borders.

They weren't "orange" because I wanted "orange", I wanted brown. Wood tone, specifically.

Doing a search for "wood" the last time I loaded Chrome (or Firefox for that matter) brought up many board-feet worth of themes, Pages and pages of wood-like, leaf-like, moss-like, etc., color schemes.
caitlyn

Apr 16, 2012
1:55 PM EDT
Bob, stop being a jerk and respect the TOS and we'll have no problems. Try turning LXer into a political debating forum or a Libertarian political soapbox again and I promise to be a thorn in your side to the greatest extent possible. I come to LXer to read about Linux and related topics, period, not your political diatriabes. I respect the TOS. Perhaps you should.

FWIW, I don't use Chrome. I don't trust Google. I expect that anything I do in Chrome is tracked and sent to Google. I am migrating off of all Google services simply because they do not respect my privacy or anyone else's.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 16, 2012
2:04 PM EDT
Caitlyn, there is a very useful button at the top of every thread.

"Unwatch Thread"

Try it some time.

On privacy, that's another point upon which we both agree. Sadly, you choose about whose invasions of privacy are meat for people to discuss, and whose are verboten.
caitlyn

Apr 16, 2012
2:20 PM EDT
Wrong again, Bob. I choose nothing. I have no say whatsoever. Your complaint is with the LXer editors and their TOS. My sin, from your perspective, is to point out to them that a TOS violation is taking place. Sorry, you're shooting the messenger because you don't like the message.
Fettoosh

Apr 16, 2012
2:27 PM EDT
Quoting:Try turning LXer into a political debating forum or a Libertarian political soapbox again and I promise to be a thorn in your side to the greatest extent possible.

@Caitlyn,

Read your response again, don't you think some how you could be instigating a political debate? I think so.

The TOS is kind tricky and can't be understood by everyone in the same way, so why don't you just respond to the subject and let LXer editors worry about enforcing the TOS.

Beside, I believe what Bob is talking about is Freedom & Personal Liberty, which are pillars of Free "Libre" Open Source Software (FLOSS). and how it ties with other subjects/area.

When Bob includes links in his comments to whatever articles he thinks are related to Freedom and Liberty, I don't think it would bother you if you justskip them.

I would very much appreciate everyone's understanding and respect to the rights and personal liberty of others. Tolerance is a good virtue.

I am just suggesting.

[edited: added missing skip and edited miss-types, thanks Bob]

Bob_Robertson

Apr 16, 2012
2:39 PM EDT
Fettoosh,

An edit, if I may. In your second to last paragraph,

"I don't think it would bother if you just them."

I think there's a word missing, something like "just skip them", maybe. I'm actually quite interested exactly what you meant.

Also, you may very well have perceived what happened on Friday. Because I put in links to articles on sites which sometimes have political content, regardless of the content of the articles to which I linked, it may very well have been a matter of "party politics" where none actually existed that got Caitlyn to have the thread shut down.

Hopefully I will remember to use TinyURL in the future. :^)

caitlyn

Apr 16, 2012
2:55 PM EDT
Once again, I have no power to shut a thread.
Fettoosh

Apr 16, 2012
3:21 PM EDT
@Bob,

Thanks for highlighting the missing "skip", that was exactly what I meant. Fortunately my brain works a little faster than I can type. My hands missing words by not being able to catch up is a proof of that. :-)

Quoting:Also, you may very well have perceived what happened on Friday.

Yes I did, and actually I was surprised, and acceptable, to the decision. I actually inquired for clarification in a different thread about item 6 in the TOS.

I always thought that many subjects are intertwined especially patents, which was the subject of discuss I thought.

Any ways, it is water under the bridge.

Bob_Robertson

Apr 16, 2012
3:36 PM EDT
"I actually inquired for clarification in a different thread about item 6 in the TOS."

You wouldn't happen to remember the title? I'm curious what the response was. I've seen very partisan political statements get no reaction what so ever, while, as you stated, my linking to articles (including to a T-Shirt which said only "Market's Clear") with no partisan political content at all cause the Dirae to fly.

Ah well. So long as people use "politics" as a decision making process, people will argue politics. And even arguing against using politics as a process becomes, itself, labeled as a political position!

Isn't human nature fascinating?
jdixon

Apr 16, 2012
4:45 PM EDT
> I've seen very partisan political statements get no reaction what so ever

I think it's simply a matter of whether others complain or not, Bob. The moderators don't really have time to police all the threads, but if someone complains they have to investigate.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 16, 2012
6:36 PM EDT
Regardless of what one may believe, I am the only person outside of the publisher himself that can close and/or delete a thread. And I do not close or delete threads just because I am asked too, by anyone. I close or delete threads when they have gone over the line..usually way over. I have in the opinion of my publisher, not enforced the TOS as strictly or as quickly as I should some of the time.

The problem is Bob, that it seems next to impossible to talk about the effect FOSS can have on our society without dragging partisan political opinions into the conversation. We just can't seem to make it more than 5 minutes into a conversation about FOSS and government without bringing our personal political viewpoints along for the ride. I myself can't seem to do it as well as I would like.

I have posted this in another thread but repeat here; I would like to say to everyone in the LXer forums that using our forums to get underneath the skin of someone..anyone to purposefully elicit a negative reaction is in very bad taste as far as I am concerned.

Scott
montezuma

Apr 16, 2012
7:36 PM EDT
Keep up the good work Scott!

A couple of years ago there was endless partisan back biting which nearly stopped me visiting Lxer. In the last year or so thankfully mainly Linux matters are generally discussed and the tone has improved greatly.

I realise there is always a fine line on these things but most folks know when they are crossing it.
caitlyn

Apr 16, 2012
8:20 PM EDT
Thanks, Scott. I appreciate what you do.

montezuma, I do remember, and I did stop visiting for a time. When most people cross the lines you talk about they do know it and go ahead anyway.
jdixon

Apr 16, 2012
8:46 PM EDT
> And I do not close or delete threads just because I am asked too, by anyone.

I didn't mean to imply that you did, Scott. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 16, 2012
9:34 PM EDT
No apologies needed, I did not take it personally jdixon. Managing the forums is a part of what I do. I really, really do not like having to be 'the heavy' but it is necessary to keep LXer a place where people can get their Linux news as well as want to talk with others about it.

To put it simply, I love LXer. And love is never easy..;-)

Fettoosh

Apr 16, 2012
11:18 PM EDT
Quoting:You wouldn't happen to remember the title?

@Bob,

It was this thread

And @BernardSwiss was generous enough to give his opinion and @Khamul gave his more elaborate opinion.

I was hoping to get feedback from Scott, but I guess he either missed it or gave feedback in another thread.

Bob_Robertson

Apr 17, 2012
8:37 AM EDT
Scott,

Indeed, it is impossible for the simple fact that all government action is political. The only way to stop things from being political is to not have government involved.

Which, it is clear, is considered a political opinion. I hope the impossible logical paradox of that statement is lost upon only a few.
montezuma

Apr 17, 2012
6:30 PM EDT
Ah Goedel's (first) incompleteness theorem aka the Paradox of the Liar makes an appearance. And no that is not a cheap shot but is probably pretentious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_paradox#G.C3.B6del.27s_Fir...
Bob_Robertson

Apr 18, 2012
10:53 AM EDT
Monte, ah yes, "This sentence is false". Used most obviously in Doctor Who, "The Pyramids Of Mars", Tom Baker era.

No offense taken, I assure you.

There is also the problem of objectivity. That a system cannot be proven using only the elements within the system itself. Since those elements are within the system, they are not "objective", but "subjective".

At least, subjectively, we all like Linux. :^)

The quest for Objectivity, sadly, leads in the direction of religion.
number6x

Apr 18, 2012
12:02 PM EDT
Quoting:Indeed, it is impossible for the simple fact that all government action is political. The only way to stop things from being political is to not have government involved.

Which, it is clear, is considered a political opinion. I hope the impossible logical paradox of that statement is lost upon only a few.

all communists are atheists...

It is not illogical because while you believe all government action is political, it does not follow that all political actions are governmental. Remove the government and you will still have the politics.

And yes, chrome is quite theme-able.

I really liked the way Chrome allowed javascript based theme-ability (is that a word?).

While it seems like solving a small problem with the sledgehammer of javascript, it makes some sense in that many developers who work with the flow and styling of applications today are web developers and have both js and CSS skills. Gnome 3 is following a similar path.

Bob_Robertson

Apr 18, 2012
3:36 PM EDT
Indeed, 6, you are correct. "Politics" is, at its base, merely a method of decision making.

I just don't see anyone saying discussing the politics involved in GNOME or KDE software development is off-topic.

So it's not "politics" that's off-topic, there are other things that must be involved. I have my opinion about what constitutes those factors, built up by experience. Stating them, however, will get the thread closed. So some things are demonstrably verboten.

I wonder if this Java-script theme could put Gmail back to the old look? Naa, I'm not a programmer.

number6x

Apr 18, 2012
4:29 PM EDT
Probably won't work for Gmail because it is a web hosted app. The server is sending your browser js to execute.

The interaction is too tightly bound to the server side to change it to the old way without problems.

Using js for theming is usually done by having javascript generate html, and css parameters to move around the size and layouts of a set of elements that will be displayed. However, the set of elements and their functions (delete a message, mark as spam, etc) will stay the same.

It might be possible to intercept the page sent by google, use js you craft to manipulate it, and keep the functionailty in compliance with gmail. It will work until google makes a change to gmail.

It would be better to find a mail client that you like, have it use Gmail's api (IMAP) to handle your mail. The changes to the IMAP interface should be more stable than changes to the web based gmail page. I got so annoyed by the reminder to 'try the new look' that I set up a mail client to do this.

http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php?title=Using_Claws_wi...

Now I use GMAIL without being bothered by Google.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 19, 2012
9:14 AM EDT
Indeed, I have used Kmail since 2000. I have it set to drain everything from Gmail, and really Gmail exists only as a spam filter and mail client when I'm away from home.

If the author of FireGPG, the add-on that integrated GPG into Gmail, wrote truly, then I expect the coders that were maintaining the "old" look Gmail interface were just as frustrated as he was by the constant changing and tweaking that Google did on the back end that required constant maintenance of the front end.

Eventually, that created so much cruft that, in their own words, they couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again so they just scrapped it (the old look).

Oh well. Kmail has changed as well, and as with you Clawsmail seems to be the best client to replace it to me as well.

There is no one interface that will please everyone, as "themes" should amply demonstrate. Companies like Microsoft and Apple spend vast sums of money doing focus groups and hiring highly educated people to design "look and feel".

I'm baffled when something that isn't broken, such as the Gmail "look and feel" is changed for the sake of change. Hasn't all that money spent, and all the experts hired, ever told them:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

?????
skelband

Apr 19, 2012
12:22 PM EDT
@Bob:

Usually these things happen when someone new takes charge and they feel that they have to put their stamp on it.

We don't seem to recognise the value of "doing nothing" as sometimes being an appropriate management activity these days more's the pity.
azerthoth

Apr 21, 2012
12:22 AM EDT
So I decide to swing by and what is STILL going on? yeesh.
skelband

Apr 21, 2012
12:44 AM EDT
@azertoth: Well it had pretty much died until you poked it :D
azerthoth

Apr 21, 2012
12:49 AM EDT
@skelband you mean this thread is over a year old?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 23, 2012
9:16 AM EDT
Az, I impolitely poked Caitlyn in the first post, which I realized was in fact being impolite and removed it. But not before it had been replied to with exactly the same-old-same-old which you note.

The thread did then delve into a meta-discussion about forbidden subjects, but has veered back to the original thrust, that of themeing and such.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!