I share his enthusiasm for XFCE

Story: Voyager Review: XFCE At Its BestTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
caitlyn

May 21, 2012
1:24 PM EDT
I share the enthusiasm for XFCE but not for Ubuntu based distros. My favorite XFCE based distro as on now is still SalixOS.
gus3

May 21, 2012
1:35 PM EDT
Heh, just wait til you get to try XFCE on the Raspberry Pi. You just wait...

and wait...

and wait...

;-)
Bob_Robertson

May 21, 2012
3:52 PM EDT
Caitlyn, something else we agree on. XFCE.

Now, if I could only get the Wheezy default of a single, bottom, taskbar, rather than the Squeeze default of two (top and bottom) task bars.

Oh well, it's free.
jdixon

May 21, 2012
8:08 PM EDT
> Now, if I could only get the Wheezy default of a single, bottom, taskbar, rather than the Squeeze default of two (top and bottom) task bars.

Can't you go into the settings manager and change your panel settings? You should be able to simply remove one of the two panels. At least, that seems to work in Slackware.
caitlyn

May 21, 2012
8:38 PM EDT
I always customize my desktop in a big way. There is no reason not to change, add or remove panels in XFCE.
dngoins

May 21, 2012
9:49 PM EDT
I likes.... I use XFCE with Gentoo, and I have it customized all to my liking. I can't get network manager to show in its panel though, but it's ok because wicd is good enough...

caitlyn

May 21, 2012
9:50 PM EDT
wicd doesn't drop my MiFi connection like NetworkManager does. OK, the NM in ROSA has been better, but not nearly as good as wicd.
Bob_Robertson

May 22, 2012
3:46 PM EDT
JD, yes, and I do. It's just interesting to me that the defaults changed back and forth through versions.
Steven_Rosenber

May 22, 2012
3:48 PM EDT
I've had trouble with Wicd. It could be just me, or my hardware, but it usually takes some extra prodding to get working.
Bob_Robertson

May 22, 2012
4:11 PM EDT
Steven,

I realize this is far too simple to be the real cause, but the only time I've had Wicd mess up was when there were network manager packages installed (by default) that I had forgotten to remove when I added Wicd.

It rather surprised me that Network Manager and Wicd weren't set to "conflict".
jdixon

May 22, 2012
4:16 PM EDT
> It's just interesting to me that the defaults changed back and forth through versions.

They seem to have changed a number of times over they years on Slackware too, so it may not be Debian making the changes.
Steven_Rosenber

May 22, 2012
5:35 PM EDT
I tried Wicd both in Bodhi and Debian Wheezy, and I expect I'll be working with it again. Part of the problem might be one router I connect to that uses WEP instead of WPA. Windows 7 also has trouble connecting this particular NIC to the router with WEP. I expect changing the encryption to WPA will make many problems disappear.
Bob_Robertson

May 23, 2012
9:21 AM EDT
I, for one, am looking forward to Wicd getting IPv6.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!