I started looking for alternatives to Firefox...

Story: Who Loves Ya, Linux Baby?Total Replies: 11
Author Content
caitlyn

May 21, 2012
5:30 PM EDT
I started looking for alternatives to Firefox when they went to their insane six week release cycle. This just is another reason to look elsewhere for me, and there are plenty of choices for elsewhere: Midori, Arora, Konqueror, Kazehakase, xxxterm, Netsurf and, if I decide closed source is OK, Opera.
patrickjmquinn

May 21, 2012
5:31 PM EDT
Midori is a fantastic browser, been using that for a few years when not using Chromium.
caitlyn

May 21, 2012
5:33 PM EDT
See, Patrick, there are things we agree on :) Midori is increasingly becoming my first choice.
jhansonxi

May 21, 2012
9:46 PM EDT
"Don't fall in love with a corporation. They won't love you back." - Harvey Mackay
slacker_mike

May 21, 2012
11:46 PM EDT
I definitely am not as enamored with firefox as I have been in the past but I still use it due to addons like adblock, https everywhere, foxyproxy.

From a features standpoint I love Opera and were some parts of the web not more hospitable to it and the fact that I prefer GPL or BSD licensened software it would be my browser of choice. Plus the fact that they package for just about any distro or BSD is really awesome.

Konqueror still makes for a much better file manager than a browser.

@Caitlyn I thought Arora was essentialy abandoned at this point?
caitlyn

May 21, 2012
11:55 PM EDT
Last I saw Arora was still getting updates. If that's changed it's news to me.
Khamul

May 22, 2012
12:15 AM EDT
I'm sorry Konqueror never got better than it did, and that it seems to be mostly abandonware now. I used to use it semi-exclusively for a long time, back in the KDE3 days. It had some very nice features, such as the "up" arrow (which chopped off the last part of the URL path, so you could step up in the hierarchy, or if you were already only one level deep, you'd go to the site's home page), and a bookmark system that was better than any I've seen since in many respects (such as using XBEL for storing bookmarks, which was convenient if you wanted to write a Perl script to work with them somehow, and also making it very easy to place a new bookmark in exactly the folder you want without having to open up a separate bookmark manager window).
slacker_mike

May 22, 2012
1:01 AM EDT
according to the download page there hasn't been a new release since 2010.

http://code.google.com/p/arora/downloads/list
Koriel

May 22, 2012
1:29 AM EDT
I need proper socks4a/5 & PAC support in a browser and only Firefox and Chrome/Chromium really offer that, Opera didn't have full support last time i checked and all the other more lightweight browsers such as Midori which I would like to use don't either.

So for the moment I will stick with Firefox.

Fettoosh

May 22, 2012
11:54 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm sorry Konqueror never got better than it did ...

You also forgot to mention my favorite feature of being able to indefinitely split views in Konqueror. I used that a lot to view and compare docs & Internet pages.

Rekonq is the replacement for Konqueror in KDE. It is still under development and it uses Webkits. The are following the same type design as in Chrome.

I am not sure whether it will have some of the unique features that Konqueror has. But Konqueror is still available though for download if not already installed.

CFWhitman

May 22, 2012
3:45 PM EDT
Since Webkit is based on KHTML, Rekonq isn't really traveling too far from its roots.
tuxchick

May 22, 2012
6:01 PM EDT
Another nice feature of Konqueror was clear buttons in the URL and search bars.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!