You can't run Fedora with 512 MB RAM?

Story: Fedora Irresponsibly Lowers Memory Requirement To 512MBTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

May 28, 2012
1:33 AM EDT
I'm not saying it would be pleasant, but Fedora with GNOME 3 is possible with 512 MB RAM, isn't it?
chalbersma

May 28, 2012
2:16 AM EDT
Yes it is. This guy is a little but hurt that's all.
BernardSwiss

May 28, 2012
2:45 AM EDT
Required.

Recommended.

They are two different things. (Really)

PsynoKhi0

May 28, 2012
1:02 PM EDT
Note the author did write "it’s [sic] memory requirement for installation", which is technically correct. Anaconda in F16 gave me the finger on a 512MB machine, even though I was running the LXDE spin. I found the text installer to be lacking (IMHO) basic things such as choosing a custom partitioning scheme, so said machine got yet again the *buntu treatment.
Fettoosh

May 28, 2012
2:07 PM EDT
I have been running Kubuntu on a desktop with 512 MB memory and 1 GHz CPU. It is mainly for testing purposes but I could do various things. For other things, it is very slow for most parts.

lcafiero

May 28, 2012
4:14 PM EDT
Actually, you can run Fedora on 512MB RAM, especially if you're using the Xfce spin. It's not ideal, but it'll check your e-mail and surf the web. I don't know what drugs this guy is on, but he should avoid the brown acid.
Scott_Ruecker

May 28, 2012
4:29 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't know what drugs this guy is on, but he should avoid the brown acid.

Don't ruin his high man..;-)
kikinovak

May 29, 2012
2:19 AM EDT
Debian Squeeze with KDE4 runs just nice here on a sandbox machine with 512 MB RAM. Memory consumption with empty desktop after a bit of tweaking: 109 MB RAM.
flufferbeer

May 31, 2012
1:24 AM EDT
Good point kikinovak. It's funny how those sandbox machines always seem to run much BETTER on parent-type distros such as Debian Squeeze, Fedora, Slackware, you-name-it, than on distros derived from these (:hint hint: nearly ANY of the *boontus as derivatives!) Probably 'cause there is much less cruft by default.

2c
Steven_Rosenber

May 31, 2012
3:27 PM EDT
What's a sandbox machine?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!