Lord, hear my prayer

Story: Is Facebook Circling Opera Software for a Possible Buy? Total Replies: 11
Author Content
BernardSwiss

May 29, 2012
7:08 PM EDT
Please, $Diety, keep Opera out of the hands of that unrepentant, prying, mercenary snoop, who constantly reminds me that Google is although a sinner at least a repentant one trying to live up to its motto...

I actually like Opera, even if not quite as much as I like Firefox. I certainly prefer it to Chrome. And I despise Facebook (quelle suprise) and consider that apparently innocuous "f" icon a sigel of the worst trends of modern times.

And before you ask -- no, I'm not "religious".
caitlyn

May 29, 2012
7:36 PM EDT
Opera is proprietary software. Why should I care is one proprietary software company buys another?

Every Google product is a data gathering application designed to learn as much about you and me as possible and to sell the information to whomever is willing to pay. Google, in my book, is about ay ths evil as it gets. I am still using their services but I am doing a slow, planned migration away from them. I cannot say the same for Facebook as nobody else can reach the audience they can.
tracyanne

May 29, 2012
7:37 PM EDT
An interesting thing about Facebook, is that unlike the older social network style, like this forum, for example, is that you don't actually have conversations, you post comments, and other people post comments, but no one actually converses.
caitlyn

May 29, 2012
7:42 PM EDT
Not true, ta. I do converse with friends on Facebook exactly as I do here.
tracyanne

May 29, 2012
7:48 PM EDT
You would appear to be one of the few, from what I've seen, I've seen
cr

May 29, 2012
10:32 PM EDT
Quoting: you don't actually have conversations, you post comments, and other people post comments, but no one actually converses.

That was true of a lot of channels on DALnet.
caitlyn

May 29, 2012
10:33 PM EDT
Yeah, ta, I'm always the oddball :) Fortunately I have a lot of oddball friends.
Koriel

May 30, 2012
2:12 AM EDT
Mostly use PM and Chat for conversing on FB, rarely converse on a post.
jacog

May 30, 2012
5:35 AM EDT
I thought the internet in general was mostly just full of people shouting into the wind.
jdixon

May 30, 2012
9:55 AM EDT
> ...shouting into the wind.

Well, I've heard that same comment with one word changed, so...
tracyanne

May 30, 2012
6:26 PM EDT
Quoting:> ...shouting into the wind.

Well, I've heard that same comment with one word changed, so...

I think that's the one that the Linux community does most of the time.
gus3

May 30, 2012
7:02 PM EDT
Shooting into the wind?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!