Trade places

Story: Update safer with GNOME 3.6!Total Replies: 7
Author Content
ComputerBob

Jun 05, 2012
8:54 AM EDT
I can't think of its name, but I used to use an operating system that required me to reboot after installing updates, but not before installing them.

Then I switched to Linux, which didn't require me to reboot at all.

I've heard rumors that my previous OS doesn't require rebooting after updates any more.

But now Linux requires users to reboot both before and after updates?
caitlyn

Jun 05, 2012
9:30 AM EDT
As a general rule Linux doesn't require rebooting before or after updates. Thanks to ksplice that can be true even after a kernel upgrade. GNOME 3.6 is apparently another matter. Please don't equate GNOME 3.x with Linux.
ComputerBob

Jun 05, 2012
9:39 AM EDT
Good to know - thanks!
Bob_Robertson

Jun 05, 2012
9:46 AM EDT
ComBob,

Since I'm stuck on Winders at work, I can say that a vast majority of updates do not require rebooting, but not all.

Every few weeks I get into a "this update will complete next time you restart Windows". And recently, there was even a, "You need to close all your applications and reboot Windows" with a nag that could only be delayed by a couple hours, not turned off.

Or maybe it wasn't all that recent, but it certainly was within the last 6 months.

Anyway, I did notice that the notifications in Debian of "You are updating the kernel you are presently running. Please reboot your machine as soon as possible, or things may not work" have ceased to come up. It could very well be that the kernel "update in place" is working, or someone just got lazy.
ComputerBob

Jun 05, 2012
10:24 AM EDT
Winders! Yes, that was the name of my previous OS! Thanks for reminding me. ;)
number6x

Jun 05, 2012
10:41 AM EDT
There are still people using gnome 3! Wow.
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2012
7:50 PM EDT
Ah the Wonders of Winders, ComputerBob
caitlyn

Jun 05, 2012
8:46 PM EDT
Quoting:There are still people using gnome 3! Wow.
Based on his latest rant I doubt Linus Torvalds is still one of them. He tried to make it work. He really did.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!