UEFI - I have to be missing something here.

Story: News: Red Hat Grows Earnings as Canonical Challenges Secure BootTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Ridcully

Jun 27, 2012
4:34 AM EDT
Okay.......this sounds almost like a "DVD-Jon" solution. I'm probably wrong, but the Canonical answer seems to be a key that works with anything Canonical wants it to work on.......So what price UEFI ?
JaseP

Jun 27, 2012
11:19 AM EDT
Reading further indicates that Ubuntu will simply use the Windoze keys, just like Red Hat, at least on the CDs and DVDs. Only Pre-installed Ubuntu systems will use the Canonical UEFI key. Both solutions only protect the first stage of the boot process, though. But on Linux machines, that's generally all you'd need, anyway...
linux4567

Jun 27, 2012
12:44 PM EDT
Actually as far as I understand Fedora's earlier announcement Fedora will sign the boot loader the kernel and all kernel modules and lock down the kernel in other ways too, while Ubuntu will only sign the boot loader, not the kernel.

Ubuntu's approach is far better as it's very little intrusive even for users who want to build their own kernel or add other kernel modules (like the Nvidia or ATI binary drivers).

Fedora's approach will be a nightmare for many users, both for advanced users and beginners that want to use Nvidia or ATI drivers (which will be impossible on Fedora) alike.
JaseP

Jun 28, 2012
8:46 AM EDT
Fedora stopped being a tinkerer's distribution a long time ago.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!