It's not too late

Story: RIM: What's all the 'bleeding' fuss about BlackBerry developers?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2012
10:01 PM EDT
It's not too late for RIM to have more success with Blackberry, primarily in the enterprise/business market. I still am really happy with my Blackberry Curve. If and when I replace it I may well turn to an Android phone, but for now I am in no hurry. For the things I want the apps are there. Of course, I don't play Angry Birds and don't care to.

On a recent business trip to Texas (sorry, Ken, not Austin) I saw lots and lots of Blackberries in the airport. Business travelers still use them. Lots of them.
helios

Jul 15, 2012
11:50 AM EDT
I will probably get a ton of flack over this but I am strongly considering at least looking at the BB 10 when it comes out. I cannot for the life of me get the onscreen keyboard to integrate into my life. To me it is clumsy and I spend more time correcting keystrokes than I do getting the message or email typed. I've looked at a couple slide-out keyboards on Android phones and trust me....I would break it in the first week. I was able to fly on my BB, and with much improved website integration in the new BB's, I will be sorely tempted.

Yeah, Caitlyn, I still have two Curves in my bedside nightstand but without a decent web interface, that's where they will stay. I just hope 10 gets it right this time. I think the future of that company depends on it.
slacker_mike

Jul 15, 2012
5:23 PM EDT
I use a blackberry at work and I really like the physical keyboard instead of a virtual keyboard. They are great for email and BBM is a nice feature, however outisde of that specific use case they are severely lacking when compared to other phones on the market. My wife's HTC running android absolutely slays the blackberry in terms of features and capabilities, so if I needed to but my own phone blackberry would not be on my list. RIM still has a big hold in the enterprise but I suspect that will wane as BYOD seems to become more and more common.
gus3

Jul 15, 2012
5:33 PM EDT
I've recently downgraded from an Android phone to a "dumb" (feature) phone with a slide-out kb.

I hate it. My fingers are too big for it. The Swype on-screen kb in Android had smaller "keys" but worked far more reliably for me.
caitlyn

Jul 15, 2012
7:31 PM EDT
Quoting:I use a blackberry at work and I really like the physical keyboard instead of a virtual keyboard.
Me too.
Quoting:RIM still has a big hold in the enterprise but I suspect that will wane as BYOD seems to become more and more common.
BYOD is a security nightmare and a lot of large enterprises will avoid it like the plague for that reason.
slacker_mike

Jul 15, 2012
10:23 PM EDT
Quoting:BYOD is a security nightmare and a lot of large enterprises will avoid it like the plague for that reason.

I would have thought so, however from what I have observed BYOD is making inroads faster than I would have thought, and the iPhone seems to be the next big enterprise device as far as phones are concerned. Not sure why as I can't stand typing on one of those damn things.
helios

Jul 15, 2012
11:07 PM EDT
BYOD is making inroads faster than I would have thought,

Yep....all management is seeing now is cost reductions (probable or newly-realized). Once the billable hours from their outsourced tech support start coming in, for cleaning the mess up on the network, then they'll take another look at it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!