Isn't it odd......?

Story: Why I Went Back To Gnome From KDE? Total Replies: 1
Author Content
Ridcully

Jul 16, 2012
4:17 AM EDT
Both Swapnil Bhartiya and myself have one really big problem with KDE4, but each of us has a different one. His is DSLR cameras and mine is, well, actually was, KMail 4.8. Both of us agree KDE4.8 is terrific, but it is sad he has chosen to just walk away rather than keep fighting the situation - simply because it is so very, very gratifying when you win !!

One thing springs to my mind however........I have a Nikon digital camera which also has two cards and in its earlier days, it was a "Rolls-Royce" device - now it's a model T, but it still takes darn good pictures. I can access either of the cards when I want to take a picture or when I want to download image files......BUT.......it all depends on which card the camera itself is accessing. You turn the camera on while making sure it is set to the selection that allows image download, plug it into the pc's usb socket, the camera is detected, from the usb pop-up menu you select file manager and away you go.....Easy !!

However, I have been caught personally myself with similar basic glitches and you feel like the world's greatest idiot when you realise what is going on.....So, I wonder if in fact, Swapnil CAN access both cards.....but might have to tell the camera which one to use. Frankly, from what he has said, I strongly suspect it might be a camera thing, not a KDE thing - could be wrong, but I cannot help but wonder.

Just my 2c worth.
Fettoosh

Jul 16, 2012
10:44 AM EDT
Quoting:I have a Nikon digital camera which ...

@Ridcully,

My daughter also has a Nikon, I believe it is COOLPIX S3000. She also has been using with Kubuntu and working pretty good as she tells me. I believe one time she mentioned that its detection is kind of touchy, probably because of the two card selection issue you mentioned, but didn't have problems downloading many many pictures.

Quoting:However, I have been caught personally myself with similar basic glitches and you feel like the world's greatest idiot when you realise what is going on ...

You bring a very good point and in my opinion, an OS without glitches doesn't exist yet. Some has more than others, but they all have them at one point or another.

Linux probably has them more due to multiple reasons, most are for good but a few aren't. The most prevalent is, it is constantly being improved and enhanced with new features and capabilities. Others, like It is released early and often; it has so many variations and much more diversity (highly flexible and adaptable) it supports old and new hardware, from micro to main frame; it is offered by many outfits that gives it sustainability; It is secure and doesn't have loose end like other OS to make it seem easier; etc.

And ooh yeah, it is a lot more fixable than others, which like you said "simply because it is so very, very gratifying when you win !!" and does not disappoint you and leave you frustrated.

I can go on and on but I guess I made my point, which is, due to all these capabilities and such, add to that being developed by mostly volunteers, it is unavoidable to not have glitches. But with all its glitches, many prefer open product over another because of what it offers and because overall, it is the preferred and most suitable to us.

Any ways, this article seems to be written by someone who woke up one morning and just felt like complaining. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!