Fundamental Block is Missing

Story: Ubuntu For Beginners: A Series Of Ubuntu Articles Total Replies: 1
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jul 17, 2012
2:36 PM EDT
Quoting:The simplest explanation of a figure 1. would be, that every time you click on some application's button operating system enables you to execute that operation.

This is supposed to be a beginner's tutorial and to the novice user, applications are the most important part of any PC. The picture is not clear enough for the user to understand where applications fit. Are they part of the OS or are they part of the GUI?

It would be more clear and easier to be understood by the novice user if the OS is broken up to two blocks to representing the Kernel and the other to represent Applications and fits between the GUI & the Kernel.

Again, this isn't applicable to Ubuntu alone, it is applicable to any computer no matter how different the various parts/blocks are.

Quoting:Ubuntu is an operating system like any other, just it is free and open source.

And the rest of the FOSS OSes aren't open and free?

I am not knocking this effort, on the contrary, I am trying to make it better and more accurate.

This is a very good attempt at getting more Windows users to feel more comfortable to try Linux, Oops, Ubuntu.

smallboxadmin

Jul 18, 2012
11:45 AM EDT
There are many things wrong with this article. First it seems that the author is not quite fleunt in English. This shows through in the text, and I suspect forces the author into more simplistic writing style. Then the analogies or examples are not very good. As Fetoosh pointed out, the article defines applications, but the graphic just confuses. The author mid-way through the article takes the easy way out and re-directs the reader to an online tour. Finally, the article is just too short to make any sense to someone not familiar with the relationship between the user, applications, operating system and hardware.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!