I eargerly await gus3's review :)

Story: Raspberry Pi Foundation launches Raspbian distributionTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Jul 18, 2012
3:22 PM EDT
Seriously, I hope gus3 or someone else here can take a look at this and let us know how useful (or not) as Raspberry Pi + Raspbian + a case can be.
gus3

Jul 18, 2012
7:23 PM EDT
Actually, I've been using Raspbian on the RPi for a couple months (give or take). It has hardware floating-point support, rather than software emulation. AFAICT, it's the only "desktop" RPi distro with hardware FP.

(For the Debian nerds, it's the "armhf" architecture; ArmedSlack is "armel".)

The only "drawback" I can find to it, is that it doesn't support the Thumb ABI. :(

If you want, I could write more, but in case you haven't notice, my 'net access is spotty at best right now.
alc

Jul 18, 2012
7:35 PM EDT
"If you want, I could write more"

I certainly wouldn't mind hearing more about it.
gus3

Jul 18, 2012
7:57 PM EDT
Okay, but... don't hold your breath. I'll try to get it posted sometime next week.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 18, 2012
8:01 PM EDT
I would love to hear about performance improvements in this new distro vs. stock Debian ARM.
caitlyn

Jul 18, 2012
8:41 PM EDT
I'm with Steven and alc on this, gus3. I wasn't being sarcastic when I posted. You seem to be our resident Pi expert and now that availability is improving a review of the new distro really would be interesting.
gus3

Jul 19, 2012
4:27 PM EDT
Sorry for the once-a-day posting, but as I said, access is spotty.

@Steven, performance is already a little sluggish, due to a single over-used bus to peripherals. If you are talking about raw bit-pushing power, enabling the FPU is part of what Raspbian is all about. There are a few other improvements available via gcc-4.7, but that's optional; gcc-4.6 is stock.

@caitlyn, sorry if I gave the impression that I thought you were being sarcastic. I've already organized my thoughts, and started writing. So you may do your happy dance now. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!