Misses the point

Story: Is usability breaking Linux adoption?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
montezuma

Aug 04, 2012
8:52 PM EDT
Android is a version of linux made consumer friendly by Google. It is also a potentially huge player on pc replacement devices (tablets and fast smart phones). It would not take much to soup up Android devices so that they actually do act as full desktop replacements. Ubuntu is trying this.

I think there is a huge potential opportunity here for linux. MS is in real trouble as it has lost the tablet/smart phone wars and Apple is notoriously rigid.......
tracyanne

Aug 04, 2012
9:19 PM EDT
Also many of the issues raised aren't really show stoppers for most people, that they might once have been. The daughter of a friend of mine works quite happily with a Toshiba laptop running kUbuntu with the KDE netbook desktop, which she prefers to any other desktop option. None of the issues over devices/drivers cause her any problems.
gary_newell

Aug 05, 2012
7:31 PM EDT
Reading the article I think the main problem was the fact that the guy started with Fedora.

Fedora is based on non proprietary software meaning many codecs and libraries are not included as standard. For me that is fair enough. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

There are plenties of distros out there that work straight out of the box especially those based on Ubuntu.

With regards to searching forums and bug lists I can see the point in some cases where this might be true but this is becoming less the norm. LINUX has come on leaps and bounds in the past decade to the point it doesn't just try and keep up with Windows in many cases it surpasses it.

Fettoosh

Aug 06, 2012
12:08 PM EDT
Quoting:that they might once have been.

What @TA said.

When I read the article, I went looking for the date thinking it was written over 5 years ago.

I have been running Kubnutu for many years and I don't recall encountering such problems.

Some distro might have little issues here and there, but no where close to what this article present them to be.

In my opinion, this article is nothing but rubbish designed to help Windows 8 rocky start.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!