Misplaced priorities

Story: Preview of GNOME 3.5.5Total Replies: 10
Author Content
cmost

Aug 13, 2012
5:16 PM EDT
Faced with a dwindling user base and hundreds of complaints about recent changes to their desktop, one would be forgiven for assuming that Gnome developers would be spending their time and resources on something other than designing a pretty, fancy sliding lock screen that's more appropriate on a touch tablet than a conventional desktop. No wonder Gnome is heading down the toilet fast.
helios

Aug 13, 2012
5:43 PM EDT
I know that once you start sliding down a slope, it's hard to stop but I think those driving the Gnome bus have lost all control. The recent announcement that the dual pane feature in Nautilus is going to go away just confirms my suspicions that the inmates are now running the asylum. Even if they are going full-touch screen and dam*ed the desktop, how can having two panes for drag and drop via touch be a bad thing?

I am no longer surprised at anything the Gnome developers do any more, in fact, I take somewhat of a perverse pleasure in watching this wreck in slomo. Now if they were to reverse their present course, that would be surprising....but again, free fall has gravity working for it. I don't think they have enough brake pad left.
gus3

Aug 13, 2012
5:47 PM EDT
Brake pad ain't all they lack.
cr

Aug 13, 2012
6:13 PM EDT
@gus3: You talking about the loose nuts behind the wheel?
BernardSwiss

Aug 13, 2012
8:18 PM EDT
It would seem rather obvious to a thinking computer user, that under the New Gnome Paradigm, a dual-pane file manager would be more essential than before...
cr

Aug 13, 2012
11:49 PM EDT
Maybe they think all the amputations they've done so far to working code in the name of Simplicity is pane enough?
jdixon

Aug 14, 2012
7:48 AM EDT
> ...a dual-pane file manager would be more essential than before...

Only if you're thinking about the desktop. It should be obvious to everyone by now that Gnome 3 has abandoned the desktop and is concentrating solely on mobile devices.

CFWhitman

Aug 14, 2012
9:19 AM EDT
Quoting:It should be obvious to everyone by now that Gnome 3 has abandoned the desktop and is concentrating solely on mobile devices.

The funny thing about this is that Gnome 3 doesn't really appear on any mobile devices. The one Linux based tablet that I know of uses KDE for the interface. So can they tell me why they are concentrating on a target where they don't yet even exist and abandoning the market they have built up?

I've never been a Gnome user, so it's all just an interesting curiosity for me to watch their nosedive. It's a good thing there are alternatives available for the people who were Gnome users though. (Incidentally, I've never really been a KDE user either. I tend to use various lightweight window managers or XFCE.)
jdixon

Aug 14, 2012
10:19 AM EDT
> So can they tell me why they are concentrating on a target where they don't yet even exist and abandoning the market they have built up?

Listens... Chirp, chirp. Nope just crickets. Seriously, I have no idea what they're thinking.

With Ubuntu, they obviously has a plan to enter the mobile market place. I doubt they'll be successful, but at least they have a plan in place. Gnome on the other hand...
mortenalver

Aug 14, 2012
12:25 PM EDT
Even a focus on mobile units is no excuse to remove the dual pane feature. The feature should work fine with a touch interface.
jdixon

Aug 14, 2012
2:14 PM EDT
> Even a focus on mobile units is no excuse to remove the dual pane feature.

I think they feel it's too complicated for the mobile crowd, mortenalver. But to be fair, they've been simplifying their interfaces past the point of usability for years now, so who knows for sure.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!