Only if you're a perfectionist

Story: Linux Mint 13 leaves sour aftertasteTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
cmost

Sep 04, 2012
8:30 PM EDT
Many of the gripes of this reviewer whines about are Ubuntu related and not necessarily attributed to Mint. Obviously Cinnamon is new and will need a few releases before it is a full fledged, mature desktop. Nevertheless, I find it funny how I've been using Cinnamon daily for almost a year without any of the so called bugs this reviewer mentioned. Then again, I run LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition. Gee, think there's a clue there?) As for MATE, it has matured tremendously with the 1.4 release and appears to be only getting better. As Gnome 3 deteriorates further into little more than a free-for-all sandbox for ill-informed and I dare say idiotic Gnome developers, who are apparently in denial about what people actually do with their computers, I imagine more and more Gnome users will switch to MATE or jump ship to XFce or even KDE. Overall I find the efforts of the Mint team to be outstanding; they're one of the few distributions who appear to actually listen to their users. While nothing is perfect with regards to functionality or user vision, Mint does a fine job of implementing a user-friendly, powerful desktop suitable for daily use. All one needs to do is head over to Distrowatch and observe that Mint continues to gain followers while Ubuntu, which continues to implement controversial "features", continues to free fall into irrelevance.
montezuma

Sep 04, 2012
9:00 PM EDT
Agreed. I have used Mint 13 with Cinnamon for 4 months without major issues at all.
number6x

Sep 04, 2012
9:03 PM EDT
I'm running Cinnamon on LMDE and on Mint 12 with no problems.

Following the forums, I think the instabilities are in mutter/muffin and the video drivers. People with Intel video report almost no issues. NVDIA users seem to report the most.
tracyanne

Sep 04, 2012
9:17 PM EDT
Cmosts post looks like gibberish, paragraphs would be usfeful
skelband

Sep 05, 2012
11:54 AM EDT
@ta:

One of the annoying things about the posting facility of LXer is the tendency for it to run all of your sentences together even if you put new lines in the posting. To break the paragraph, you need to insert an additional blank line.

I've been caught out like that in the past.
gus3

Sep 05, 2012
12:02 PM EDT
@skelband,

That's why Bob put a "Preview" button in there.
tracyanne

Sep 05, 2012
5:09 PM EDT
@ skelband

I've never noticed

I don't appear to have that problem

It never happens to me

maybe it's not LXer

Also given there is a preview button, maybe people who do have the problem, should try using it.
skelband

Sep 05, 2012
6:10 PM EDT
This is one line. This is another.

A blank line.

I don't tend to use preview windows unless there are markup instructions in which case it's not necessarily obvious what the thing is going to look like.

Anyway, casual users that contribute to a number of different forums are likely to forget the different conventions.

The other forum where I post occasionally (TheRegister) does not do this.

Yes, you can use Preview. I merely point out that this is a possible reason why sometimes we see posts without apparent line breaks. I didn't say whether or not you should like it.
flufferbeer

Sep 05, 2012
6:17 PM EDT
@tracyann and skelband (multiple spaces afterwards here-inserted) If you think run-on series of comments are irritable, you should check out the irritable tone of the other thread, the one that harps on the incompetence of "The DrakDuck Attitude". Two carriage returns to follow.

then My 2c
tracyanne

Sep 05, 2012
6:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Two carriage returns to follow.

2 carriage returns, is the correct way to create a new paragraph, that's what I always do. Do some people here insert only a single carriage return, and somehow expect that to create a paragraph? I thought skelband was saying you sometimes have to insert 3 carriage returns.
skelband

Sep 05, 2012
6:38 PM EDT
It depends what you are used to of course.

If you use word processors a lot, it is a bad habit to get into as a double carriage return inserts an additional empty paragraph. Paragraph separation should be a matter of format rather than structure.

Alternatively, if you do a lot of latex, the opposite is true. :D
tracyanne

Sep 05, 2012
6:49 PM EDT
@skelband.... 2 carriage returns, is the correct way to create a new paragraph.... on a simple text editor, not unlike the edit box we use on LXer.
skelband

Sep 05, 2012
8:15 PM EDT
@ta - is the correct way to create a new paragraph.... on a simple text editor

If you say so.
jdixon

Sep 05, 2012
8:29 PM EDT
> If you say so.

I take it you've never used a typewriter, skelband?
caitlyn

Sep 06, 2012
12:46 AM EDT
@cmost: Pardon me for coming back to your original comments rather than arguing about how to make paragraph breaks. I hope you don't mind.

I wouldn't put much weight on DistroWatch's page hit ranking. Ladislav Bodnar, who owbs DistroWatch, doesn't believe they are an accurate measure of anything other than how many clicks a distro receives on his website. I don't, for one minute, believe Ubuntu is in a "free fall into irrelevance." Other, more meaningful metrics, like Google searches, still show Ubuntu as the most popular desktop Linux distro by far.

Having said that, I do believe Linux Mint and Mageia have gained mindshare and have certainly grown in popularity, and deservedly so. What I'm saying is not to read too much into the DistroWatch numbers.

Quoting:Many of the gripes of this reviewer whines about are Ubuntu related and not necessarily attributed to Mint.
I strongly disagree. Every distributor is responsible for the code they distribute. One of Mint's strengths has been fixing upstream bugs and providing a better user experience as a result. When they fail to do so then citing the bugs as part of Mint is fair comment. Similarly the comments about Cinnamon, which is really not quite ready for prime time, are also fair comment. Dismissing those complaints in what is supposed to be a stable release makes you sound like a fawning fan rather than someone making constructive criticism of a review.

You note that you are running the Debian edition and that is not what was reviewed. Your comparisons are apples to oranges as a result. If you had said that you had brilliant experiences with the same versions that were reviewed your comments would have more merit.

My general take on Mint is that it is better Ubuntu than Ubuntu and that the developers do add a lot of value to their releases. I also agree with the reviewer that the KDE version is a better choice for stability than the others offered. OK, XFCE, which he barely touched on, is also a good choice. My own conclusion wouldn't be as negative as his is and I certainly wouldn't have titled my own review that way. However, if I were writing a review of Mint 13 (and I'm not) it would be decidedly mixed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!