Laugh? Cry? Jeer?

Story: Amazon Blocks Arch Linux Handbook from Kindle StoreTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Sep 10, 2012
2:38 AM EDT
This is "getting it wrong" in so many ways at once...
r_a_trip

Sep 10, 2012
4:33 AM EDT
This is just a "minor" pain. The common user needs to be subjected to much more pain, before they see that Kindle's are convenient, gilded cages where they are allowed to spend their money and be glad they get to read anything before Amazon decides to delete it again.

I've though about getting an e-reader before, but after Amazon's epic deletion of "1984", I knew the only safe way to get access to a work is to get it on good, old-fashioned paper. Deleting a physical book is a bit more laborious than hitting a delete button. If push comes to shove, paper books can be hidden, can be "illegally" copied and propagated.

Laying your cultural eggs in a for profit, DRM basket is asking to be subjected to censorship.
cabreh

Sep 10, 2012
5:35 AM EDT
As a counter-point, I have one of the really cheap Kindles. Almost all of the books I have on it have cost me zero dollars. I dounloaded most from feedbooks and e-mailed them to my kindle e-mail address. I also have some $0.00 books obtained from Amazon.

Of my money paid for books, the most expensive was Euro 8.04 from Amazon. I also have my library backed up to my Calibre software and it can't be auto-deleted from there.

To me paying excessive amounts of money for a printed book just isn't worth it. And I'm not in any cage that I can see.
tracyanne

Sep 10, 2012
6:10 AM EDT
Quoting:before they see that Kindle's are convenient, gilded cages

Unless they Install Ice Cream Sandwich on their Kindle Fire http://www.pcworld.com/article/258452-3/how_to_install_ice_c...
jdixon

Sep 10, 2012
8:15 AM EDT
> Laying your cultural eggs in a for profit, DRM basket is asking to be subjected to censorship.

Assuming you keep them in that DRM basket, yes.
JaseP

Sep 10, 2012
8:48 AM EDT
But jdixon,... anything else may be considered ILLEGAL in some jurisdictions, ... (sarcasm meter off the scale).
Bob_Robertson

Sep 10, 2012
9:40 AM EDT
I looked into e-books, and settled on the BeBook Neo if I ever feel the need to get one.
albinard

Sep 10, 2012
11:24 AM EDT
Kindle simply uses the electronic version of Fahrenheit 451.
jdixon

Sep 10, 2012
12:09 PM EDT
> ...anything else may be considered ILLEGAL in some jurisdictions...

That it could, JaseP. That it could. However, the saying "A word to the wise is sufficient" comes to mind.
montezuma

Sep 10, 2012
6:17 PM EDT
Sounds like a low level moron somewhere in the Amazon system. If they sell the book themselves as a hardcopy why not have it on a kindle? Morons. Just download the mobi version and screw them.
cr

Sep 10, 2012
9:55 PM EDT
There's a seemingly sensible explanation for this block over on slashdot, posted by icebike (68054):

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3107487&threshold=1&comm...

Quoting: Exactly. He at most, packaged the wiki, no doubt cleaning some things up a bit along the way.

B&N has a similar self-publish program called Pubit. When it was first introduced it was flooded with ebooks that were merely a couple paragraphs of wrapper around public domain books. I saw one such pubit book that still has the Project Gutenberg trailers attached.

B&N, and I suspect Amazon, has since modified the TOS to require that the "authors" at least hold the copyright to the vast majority of the submitted work.

The article is currently at the top of the digest page at alterslash.org and this posting in full is shown.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!