Meeks makes a lot of sense AND leaves out one point that

Story: GNOME hacker: Culture isn't holding desktop Linux backTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
dinotrac

Sep 12, 2012
8:37 AM EDT
was very important to the early success of MS-DOS and later to Windows.

Those of us old enough to remember the early days of PCs can remember the most common justification for buying a computer: I can do work at home.

As workplaces tended to have IBM PCs, home computers tended to run DOS.
CFWhitman

Sep 12, 2012
2:12 PM EDT
From the workplace to the living room is the normal way for an operating system to travel. Before the idea of getting a computer in your home that was compatible with your work computer became the thing to do, Commodore ruled the home computing market, but there was still some competition. Once people started getting at home what they used at work, the market shifted steadily toward DOS and Windows.
gus3

Sep 12, 2012
2:55 PM EDT
Quoting:I can do work at home.
But that doesn't mean I will.

Spend my salary to benefit my employer? No, thanks.
dinotrac

Sep 12, 2012
2:59 PM EDT
@gus3 --

Back when it cost $3,000 to buy a 4.77 mhz, 256K, no-hard-drive PC, you had to sell your wife on why it made sense to do.
gus3

Sep 12, 2012
3:36 PM EDT
@dino,

Or just sell your wife. Two problems solved.
DrGeoffrey

Sep 12, 2012
5:21 PM EDT
Quoting:Spend my salary to benefit my employer? No, thanks.

That's one way to look at it. Another is to ask yourself how much are you willing to pay to avoid MS software?

For me, the pleasure of avoiding the innumerable problems inherent in running Cr@pWare is worth providing my own laptop. Or, to put it another way, my career is worth more to me than to my employer.
gus3

Sep 12, 2012
6:36 PM EDT
I "pay" to avoid M$, in the sense that I'll refuse a job rather than support that pile of dung.

As I put it elsewhere, what shreds of sanity I still have, are not for sale.
DrGeoffrey

Sep 12, 2012
7:18 PM EDT
I wish I could enjoy your freedom. Going rogue is as close as I can get.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!