empathy -h

Story: How to Start Empathy HiddenTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 17, 2012
10:26 PM EDT
I like a short, sweet helpful tip like this. All I need to do now is figure out if and where GNOME 3 has a startup applications dialog.
slacker_mike

Sep 18, 2012
12:37 AM EDT
Hi Steven, from a terminal just type gnome-session-properties and the gui pops up.
Fettoosh

Sep 18, 2012
12:08 PM EDT
Quoting:from a terminal just type gnome-session-properties and the gui pops up.

The most obvious user friendly way to launch a GUI application is by clicking on an icon, how much of an effort does it take to create an icon to launch such a function? Not much I believe.

Overlooking simple things like this is how some developers keep shooting themselves in the foot.

vhbil

Sep 18, 2012
6:03 PM EDT
There is an icon. In Gnome Shell and Unity is you filter your applications with "start", you will see the icon.
Fettoosh

Sep 18, 2012
6:27 PM EDT
Quoting: is you filter your applications with "start"

I myself don't use Unity or Gnome Shell and comment was a general observation.

I assume you meant If not "is" in your above statement, why would one need to filter to see the icon? for a repeat users it is not a problem, but for first time user it is not obvious enough.

tracyanne

Sep 18, 2012
7:20 PM EDT
I've been running Ubuntu/Unity, for over a week now, I'm using it on a netbook, that I use as a potable recording studio. The Dash is no substitute for a proper menu system. The best way to use it, I've found, is to locate the applications you use most, using the Dash's filter functions, and place their Icons on the side panel.
slacker_mike

Sep 18, 2012
10:29 PM EDT
I am currently running Fedora 17 and if you edit:

Quoting:/usr/share/applications/gnome-session-properties.desktop

change the line from
Quoting:NoDisplay=false
to
Quoting:NoDisplay=true
you will be able to access the options from the application listings from the activities overview.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!