Love Cinnamon!!!

Story: Cinnamon 1.6 reviewTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
cmost

Sep 27, 2012
9:33 PM EDT
I have to say that Cinnamon is a really great desktop environment; much better, IMHO than Gnome Shell. For those folks who miss Gnome 2.x but want something more modern than MATE (also a great desktop by the way) then Cinnamon is your best bet!! Nemo, especially, is a welcome addition to version 1.6. I'm not sure what the Gnome developers are smoking, but removing a raft of power user features from Nautilus is NOT the way to win the users' hearts or minds. Nemo is the answer, however, and it will soon become a powerful file manger for Cinnamon! Give it a try. Cinnamon is available in most mainstream Linux distro repositories and it's easy to compile if not available in your distro of choice.
slacker_mike

Sep 27, 2012
10:36 PM EDT
I don't quite get the hoopla over Cinnamon. I have tried it and it was alright but nothing special in my mind. I would have to rank Cinnamon behind KDE and Xfce in the traditional desktop area.
Koriel

Sep 30, 2012
2:12 PM EDT
I also tried Cinnamon, It was a fine enough desktop but the one I was using on Linux Mint 12 was very unstable one of the panels kept crashing and restarting.

KDE and Xfce are my preferred desktops and the ones I use on a regular basis.
montezuma

Sep 30, 2012
9:23 PM EDT
I have used it since early this year. Works well for me. It has also become a lot more stable with the 1.4 through 1.6.1 releases.

Personally I think gnome should run with this but no doubt they will not which leaves it as a fork. This leaves me a little uneasy. It would be better if the gnome community could pool developer resources. Cinnamon relies on a fairly small set of developers.
bvpainter

Jan 29, 2013
11:29 AM EDT
I was using Mint 13 and switching between Mate and Cinnamon. However I messed up my installation, so thought I would try a KDE based distro. I tried Kubuntu , Mint KDE 14, Mageia, Rosa and finally OpenSuse, but though I liked the interface and the amount of customisation available in all these distros, I found that after a variable time , for no apparent reason, they all locked up, and required a reboot . So I have gone back to Mint 13 but with the latest version of Cinnamon and Nemo. So far rock-steady, no lock-ups. I'll miss using KDE, but no use if it keeps locking up. BTW the machine is a fairly old machine with only 1Gb RAM. perhaps this is the reason for the lock-ups.

Fettoosh

Jan 29, 2013
12:25 PM EDT
Quoting:BTW the machine is a fairly old machine with only 1Gb RAM. perhaps this is the reason for the lock-ups.

I doubt it because I ran Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.4 on an old clunker (HP Desktop 1GHz & 512MB), which I use for testing purposes, and it didn't lock up. It was very slow but it worked. Of course I didn't run many multiple applications at the same time, but worked.

I suspect the lock up was due to bad graphics card or driver. Also it might be that Desktop Effects was turned on and turning it off would help.

Bottom line is KDE is not suitable to run on very old low resources hardware.

Jeff91

Jan 29, 2013
4:08 PM EDT
Fettoosh to be fair neither are Gnome 3 or Unity.

~Jeff
Koriel

Jan 29, 2013
4:44 PM EDT
I like cinnamon and I believe it has the potential to be one of the premiere Linux desktops but right now its has too many holes, I found one in less than 30 mins of use ie the file association mechanism is broken had to resort to using thunar to set up the associations this is a known fault so will probably be fixed with the next release.

I also have had my main panel crash a few times but at least it auto restarted.

Then their are a couple of known issues with java which as a java dev prevent me from using it. Their is a workaround for one issue but not the other.

All this stuff will get fixed but its not ready at least for me and my usage case.

At the moment Xfce is still the best desktop for me as everything I use on a daily basis just works.
Fettoosh

Jan 30, 2013
11:22 AM EDT
Quoting:Fettoosh to be fair neither are Gnome 3 or Unity.

Very true. By the way, good job on making Bodhi available on RasPi. I am waiting for my board to play with it. Also congratulations for getting Bodhi working on MK802 which I am also very interested in.

I just saw this

Steven_Rosenber

Jan 30, 2013
2:15 PM EDT
I was pleasantly surprised recently -- I ran Debian Wheezy with KDE on a 1.2 GHz Celeron with 1 GB RAM, and it all worked very well. Plus KDE doesn't require 3D acceleration, and this old laptop didn't have it.
bvpainter

Feb 01, 2013
11:07 AM EDT
Have "discovered" Screenlets, so now have a very similar desktop to the one I was using with KDE. So I guess I'll be sticking to Cinnamon.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!