A case for Evergreen

Story: openSUSE 12.3 Miletsone 0 already out Total Replies: 1
Author Content
Ridcully

Oct 04, 2012
5:23 AM EDT
If ever there was a case for Evergreen, this is it. I am still running openSUSE 11.4/KDE4.6 which just happens to be superb and does everything I want it to do, simply, easily and fast. I am currently "playing with" openSUSE 12.2 and KDE4.8 However, swapping over a complete computer system and its associated data files is NOT a simple thing.....it takes time, work and sometimes quite a lot of fiddling about to get things sorted out and into their new locations - and as for copying across gigabytes of data........sigh. In fact, the same things were hit by the Windows people as they went from XP to Win7.......I detest Windows, but I can deeply sympathise.

Support for openSUSE 11.4 ends in November as far as I recall, but Evergreen takes it up from there for at least another two years. Thank goodness. This constant move to "bigger, better, faster, greater......etc. etc." might be good for the developers, but by golly, it freaks out a happy user of an OS version that works well but is now considered obsolete.....just because it is getting a little old.....in the pure time sense. This constant turn over of new versions only forces me into the eternal upgrade and the stress of moving to a new version. Okay.....I'm a Luddite, but I am sick of having to throw away something that is working very, very well, just because everybody has to move to a new and really, really, really, really great version.....which often doesn't work as well as the one from which I have been forced to move.
caitlyn

Oct 08, 2012
4:01 PM EDT
I've been running openSUSE 12.2 for a few weeks now and I must say the the distro in green got it right this time around. I've been pretty happy with this distro and have run into exactly zero significant problems with my hardware. It's rare that I get to say that :) Of course, I knew up front that they don't package Broadcom firmware so I was prepared for that.

I'm not saying to need to or should upgrade your 11.4 machine. I just wanted to say that if you choose to do it at some point the end result is pretty nice :)

I'm sort of downgrading my work desktop from openSUSE 12.2 to SLED 11 SP2. It's licensed and supported and that has to be better, right?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!