Intriguing

Story: KDE4 Plasma ActiveTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Ridcully

Oct 11, 2012
3:50 AM EDT
This I really have got to see in the not too distant future. I've never played with Kubuntu so it'll be very interesting indeed.
Fettoosh

Oct 11, 2012
9:55 AM EDT
@Ridcully,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I have been using Kubuntu for a long time and I haven't found any good reason to switch to anything else. Like I keep saying, Kubuntu is not perfect, but in my opinion, it is the best balanced Distro all around.

rm42

Oct 11, 2012
10:19 AM EDT
Ubuntu has always been great for Gnome, and now Unity. But, Kubuntu has always left me with a sour taste. For KDE I much prefer to use OpenSuse. It has a lot more polish (less kinks and troubles).
caitlyn

Oct 11, 2012
10:55 AM EDT
The KDE Plasma desktop is nice on a netbook but it's still a bit resource hungry for my taste. tracyanne is right: it is lighter than Unity on standard Ubuntu. I also agree with rm42 that a number of other distros do a nicer job with KDE than Kubuntu. openSUSE is one possibility. I've also been really impressed with ROSA Desktop.

In the end, I chose to go with LXDE on the netbook and I'm currently using openSUSE for my distro.

[Edit: typo.]
gary_newell

Oct 12, 2012
8:27 AM EDT
I prefer Unity and Gnome over KDE. For simplicity you can't go far wrong with LXDE

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!