In stock right now

Story: Raspberry Pi gets its memory doubledTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
penguinist

Oct 15, 2012
10:49 AM EDT
This time they are in stock on opening day. I just got my order confirmation from Newark/Element 14 in the US. Ship date is today.
gus3

Oct 15, 2012
10:58 AM EDT
You young whippersnappers... etc etc etc... you know the rant.

Now get off my lawn!
penguinist

Oct 15, 2012
11:04 AM EDT
gus, I'm not as young as you might think. :)
caitlyn

Oct 15, 2012
12:52 PM EDT
Looks like it now has almost enough memory to be really useful :)

[Ducks, runs and hides]
gus3

Oct 15, 2012
1:00 PM EDT
Useful for running Windows?

Nah, still too little for that.
penguinist

Oct 15, 2012
1:26 PM EDT
Sounds like this hardware has found exactly the right niche. :)
caitlyn

Oct 15, 2012
3:01 PM EDT
This time of year I prefer pumpkin pie :)

@penguinist: You could be nice and share the link for ordering these wee beasties.
penguinist

Oct 15, 2012
3:24 PM EDT
Sure caitlin, you go here, but be forewarned, Newark's servers are nearly unreachable today.

Ok I'll give an LXer exclusive tip on how to get your RPi-512's on opening day (if you live in the US):

1. Forget about placing an online order. It's hopeless.

2. Place an old fashioned phone call to Newark's order desk (1 800 463 9275) and place your order with the fine person who answers the phone. This will put you at the front of the line.

Ask for Newark stock number 43W5302, RASPBRRY-MODB-512M, @$35 plus tax and shipping.
caitlyn

Oct 15, 2012
5:54 PM EDT
Thank you. I'll wait for the furor to die down but that was a very helpful and useful post :)
slacker_mike

Oct 15, 2012
8:05 PM EDT
I ordered one this morning with an enclosure. I am pretty excited to try it out. Maybe I will give armedslack a try. http://www.armedslack.org/
gus3

Oct 16, 2012
12:32 PM EDT
@slacker_mike: Be sure to read up here. I've been doing OK with it (even though Slackware ARM uses armel instead of armhf).
Jeff91

Oct 17, 2012
3:47 PM EDT
The Pi plays media great - but honestly the processor is so slow it is next to useless for normal computing usage in terms of browsing the net/doing web work.

Seems like a great teaching tool though - which is what it was designed for.

~Jeff
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 17, 2012
5:47 PM EDT
Quoting:The Pi plays media great - but honestly the processor is so slow it is next to useless for normal computing usage in terms of browsing the net/doing web work.

You think it can function as a media PC? I might want to give that a try.
gus3

Oct 17, 2012
6:15 PM EDT
There is a fork of the XBMC project, RaspBMC.

Also, the omxplayer which attempts to make good use of the RPi's GPU.
Jeff91

Oct 18, 2012
8:51 AM EDT
Using OMXPlayer the Pi plays 720p video 100% fine.

Haven't tried any 1080 stuff since I don't own a TV with that resolution.

~Jeff
montezuma

Oct 18, 2012
9:14 AM EDT
Jeff91,

Yes I agree they should soup up their CPU. H#ll I can get a fancy Nexus 7 tablet for 200 bucks which is lightning fast and does 3D graphics easily. Surely a barebones system like the PI could be given a useful cpu for well under 100 bucks....
Jeff91

Oct 18, 2012
10:06 AM EDT
Montezuma - your post comes across as sarcastic to me? Was that the intent or am I taking it wrong?

The intent of my post was simply to state a fact about the device - it is something a good deal of content about the Pi fails to mention.

~Jeff
notbob

Oct 26, 2012
11:08 AM EDT
slacker_mike wrote:I ordered one this morning with an enclosure. I am pretty excited to try it out. Maybe I will give armedslack a try.

Do it mike. I wouldn't suppose you'd do anything else. I'm certainly going to.

FWIW, I jes upped my ancient P4 desktop from < .4G RAM to > .75G RAM. Slack leet didn't even shrug when I ran the lesser RAM. I could run gimp and youtube simultaneously, no problem. Such is the non-bloated beauty of Slack.

As for the CPU speed, I wonder what a 4 Pi Beowulf cluster would look like? ;)
slacker_mike

Oct 26, 2012
12:36 PM EDT
So I ordered my Raspberry Pi from Newark/element14 on the 15th and it shipped on the 22nd which is faster than I expected.
notbob

Oct 26, 2012
12:49 PM EDT
slacker_mike:

They are out-of-stock, already. Next shipment Nov 29th. Fortunately, I wasn't holding my breath (much to the disappointment of LXer ladies) ;)
montezuma

Oct 26, 2012
3:59 PM EDT
Jeff,

Not sarcastic at all. Just factual. Tablets are dirt cheap and pretty powerful so why not the PI?
penguinist

Oct 26, 2012
4:47 PM EDT
@notbob: I have four of the 256MB units that I would let go for a good price since I've upgraded to the 512MB units. I can ship same day. Send me an LXer PM if you are interested.

Three units are new in original packaging, and the fourth is "tested and verified good".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!