Hey, look!

Story: Setting Up An NFS Server And Client On OpenSUSE 12.2Total Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 22, 2012
4:52 PM EDT
It's a how-to written for a distro other than Ubuntu. Sometimes, if you look at the newsfeed, you'd think Ubuntu is Linux is Ubuntu.
tracyanne

Oct 22, 2012
6:25 PM EDT
Linux what's Linux?
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 22, 2012
7:15 PM EDT
HowToForge is not Ubuntu-centric.
slacker_mike

Oct 22, 2012
10:35 PM EDT
@Steven, How To Forge may not be Ubuntu specific but it certainly is ISPConfig specific. Seems like every tutorial is about setting up a server with ISPConfig. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 23, 2012
12:29 AM EDT
True enough. There's a wash-rinse-repeat feel over there. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
patrickjmquinn

Oct 23, 2012
7:16 PM EDT
There is an obvious reason that people talk about Ubuntu over any other distro Caitlyn, they like it and find it the most agreeable, thats the way it is I'm afraid. Why are you so negative all the time by the way? I rarely see anything positive which isn't sarcy coming from you, its very off putting.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 24, 2012
12:39 PM EDT
As a writer, I can tell you that posts about Ubuntu draw more traffic than posts about "not Ubuntu." It feeds on itself.
caitlyn

Oct 24, 2012
3:32 PM EDT
@patrick: You clearly haven't been reading most of my posts on LXer based on your comments. More are positive than anything else.

Now, if you need to have a negative comment from me, well... your assessment of Ubuntu was true a couple of years back. I seriously doubt it's true today. A lot of the mindshare has moved on and so has at least some of the user base. I hate to quote DIstroWatch page hit rankings because they really don't measure much of anything accurately, but... the fact that Ubuntu has dropped to third over the past six months (behind Mint and Mageia) does seem to reflect community sentiment nowadays.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!