Untitled

Story: Precise Puppy - Linux PerfectedTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuppp

Oct 30, 2012
12:38 PM EDT
From the article:
Quoting:"(Alternatively install the Puppy ISO to a CD and boot from the CD as they are always set to boot before the hard drive)."

Predicting frustration from some of the newbie readers of this article, as CD's are most definitely not always set to boot before the hard drive.
gary_newell

Oct 30, 2012
12:44 PM EDT
ok "always" might be a bit optimistic but in the vast majority of computers that I have used the CD drive is set to boot before the hard drive. The main exception I would think would be devices that didn't come with a CD/DVD drive to begin with such as netbooks
jdixon

Oct 30, 2012
3:18 PM EDT
> ... but in the vast majority of computers that I have used the CD drive is set to boot before the hard drive.

And the vast majority of the one's I've used haven't been. YMMV.

Most of the HP's I've seen have been set to boot from CD first. Other vendors not so much so.
gary_newell

Oct 30, 2012
6:46 PM EDT
I have changed it slightly so that there is a link to follow which shows how to change the boot order.

Still not a perfect solution as the BIOS differs between makes of computer but its a start.
BernardSwiss

Oct 30, 2012
7:32 PM EDT
Wait a minute...

We appear to have a case of... a blogger accepting constructive criticism of a distro review.

Is that even allowed?
jdixon

Oct 30, 2012
8:19 PM EDT
> Still not a perfect solution as the BIOS differs between makes of computer but its a start.

That's about the best you can do. The are simply too many different bioses out there.

> Is that even allowed?

Well, it;'s never been forbidden, so I guess it depends on the society you come from. :)
gary_newell

Oct 31, 2012
5:31 AM EDT
Does that make me a Maverick? The blogger who doesn't play by the rules.

Constructive criticism I can accept. Abusive comments I just ignore.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 31, 2012
12:41 PM EDT
I just cleaned out my piles of ISO disks -- maybe 150 of them. Of the 20 or so I didn't recycle, I probably kept more Puppy discs than anything else except Debian. My favorite Puppy is still my first: 2.13. That release really opened my eyes to Linux distributions offering an all-in-one solution (all the apps preinstalled), introduced me to many apps I still use today (including the excellent Geany text editor) and pretty much provided me an environment in which to learn about Linux. Thanks, Puppy people!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!