Why does she always...

Story: Linux Preloaded: Coming Soon to a PC Near YouTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
caitlyn

Nov 01, 2012
4:59 PM EDT
Why does Katherine Noyes always have to quote hairyfeet even when he's dribbling out nonsense? Can't she find someone else to quote for a change? What makes hairyfeet an authority on anything?
tracyanne

Nov 01, 2012
5:00 PM EDT
His hairy feet.
caitlyn

Nov 01, 2012
5:41 PM EDT
Oh... I didn't realize that made someone an authority.

p.s.: I do think preloaded Linux systems are the answer to how to get to wider acceptance and adoption of Linux on the desktop. Unfortunately it also requires vendors to successfully market such systems. Only ASUS, Acer and Dell have really done that with any degree of success and then only at the height of the netbook craze.
BernardSwiss

Nov 01, 2012
6:38 PM EDT
She probably quotes hairyfeet because the guy is prolific, and generally takes a consistent (*) position.

(*) "consistent" only in the sense that it stays fairly constant, and thus predictably can be used to nail down a particular corner of the field of opinions...
DrGeoffrey

Nov 01, 2012
6:44 PM EDT
Not to mention, it's always fun to quote trolls. Responses are all but assured.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 01, 2012
8:48 PM EDT
Don't mess with Hairyfeet!!!
tracyanne

Nov 01, 2012
11:58 PM EDT
Hobbits can be dangerous.
hairyfeet

Nov 02, 2012
5:54 AM EDT
I don't dribble nonsense and I'm definitely not dangerous. Katherine and I have a special relationship that I cannot go into detail about here. Let's just say that I scratch her back and she combs mine.
r_a_trip

Nov 02, 2012
8:31 AM EDT
While I don't agree with most of Hairyfeet's assesments of Linux, he does have a point here. We don't buy nearly enough machines with Linux vendors. Then again, most Linux preloading vendors are either just dabbling with Linux like Dell or they are boutique shops with a severely limited selection of models and an accordingly high price point.

In either case, be it large vendors dabbling or dedicated shops, they never had anything that was compelling to me. It's either a low end entry or it is prohibitively expensive. Combined with the fact that most offerings are powered by an Intel chip and I strongly prefer AMD, it is a no go for me. The only linux preloaded things I bought were Android devices and wireless routers.
gus3

Nov 02, 2012
11:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Hobbits can be dangerous.
I understand that Peter Jackson is making a documentary about them:

When Hobbits Attack
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 02, 2012
12:47 PM EDT
As much as I kid about HairyFeet, I actually do appreciate Katherine Noyes' articles that are written in this format (going around the Web and seeing what people are saying). I've done a few of them myself, and I think it's a useful service for those of us who aren't poking around those 300+ comment Slashdot threads.
BernardSwiss

Nov 02, 2012
4:31 PM EDT
Actually, hobbits aren't dangerous at all -- if any should be so foolish as to make an appearance, the Tolkien estate will deal them harshly.

Scientist Refused Permission To Call Hominids 'Hobbits', Even Though Word First Used In Print In 1895 -- And Not By Tolkien

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!