best for retards?

Story: Which 10-inch Android tablet is best?Total Replies: 27
Author Content
notbob

Nov 29, 2012
9:15 AM EDT
Who gives a flyin' frack?

A "tablet" strikes me as the computer equivalent to the McDs cash register. Burger flippers being too dumb to actually recognize and count money, we'll jes put leetle pictures on the buttons. This is great until a rare function like "null" is required and the dolt behind the counter can't grasp the concept of a button with no icon. DOH! (BTW, this jes happened to me the other day. Told said fast-food dolt I want the senior discount on the drinks, which is free. Stopped the kid dead in her tracks. "But, but, but....." Hadda go get the 70 yr old granny sweepin' the floor to explain the icon-less null button)

So, that's what I see the tablet as. "Press the purty pictures, Percy". How dumb can we become?
jacog

Nov 29, 2012
9:21 AM EDT
Tasteless thread title and comment.
montezuma

Nov 29, 2012
10:00 AM EDT
Horses for courses. A television is moronic too but useful at times.
jacog

Nov 29, 2012
10:39 AM EDT
( deleted - wups, wrong thread )
dinotrac

Nov 29, 2012
11:23 AM EDT
I guess that I am mentally challenged, then.

I like tablets. See lots of good uses for them.

Like my Kindle, too, which is just a specialized tablet.

Sometimes you just don't want (or need) to drag around your desktop.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 29, 2012
1:07 PM EDT
Having a light, small tablet with good battery life just for web browsing around the house has been tremendously helpful. Yes, I have an iPad (won it in a contest), and all I expect out of it is simple web browsing and reading when I don't want to have a full laptop open in front of me.

The tablet form factor and use case is more compelling than you might think. It can't replace a desktop/laptop, and I don't expect it to. I don't use lots of apps -- pretty much just the browser.
Fettoosh

Nov 29, 2012
1:09 PM EDT
Quoting:I guess that I am mentally challenged, then.

I am glad you came out and said @Dino, I don't feel alone any more. :-)

Cheer up, pretty soon the whole world will join us. But of course, there are exceptions.

Fettoosh

Nov 29, 2012
1:38 PM EDT
Quoting:It can't replace a desktop/laptop, and I don't expect it to.

There are many many users who really don't need a desktop/laptop and a tablet is more than what they need.

And many people only need laptops/desktops some of the time, and tablets most of the time.

Like an anonymous once said:

You can use some of the computers all the time, and all of the computers some of the time, but you cannot use all of the computers all the time. :-)

penguinist

Nov 29, 2012
2:01 PM EDT
As a pilot, I carry a full set of FAA aviation charts on my tablet. Displaying a map or an approach chart on a 7 inch multi-touch surface is perfect in the cockpit, but can you imagine trying to do that with a notebook computer. My previous solution was to use a netbook, but even that was too cumbersome to be very useful. That tablet works perfectly in this application.

So, I echo the sentiment that tablets have their own unique purpose.
JaseP

Nov 29, 2012
3:18 PM EDT
I agree with the other tablet users... For taking notes, scheduling appointments, browsing the web, filling out PDF forms (and signing them), sending and receiving messages (email & texts), looking for directions (and navigating, if you have a car mount), and use as a home automation control interface, and even doing video chatting ... you can't beat a tablet.

I use my actual computers (about 12 of them) less and less. As the ARM machines become more powerful, and can handle more (the HTPC front end role, for example), that will only be more so. I actually kind of look forward to that as a way to save on electricity costs without sacrificing convenience and features. Right now, I have the ability to control by HTPC back end with my tablet, as well as home automation (although I'll be scaling that back due to my impending divorce) and soon will be able to get and control all message forms through it as well (text, voice mail, video chat mail, email, etc.). Tablets are a lot more useful tan those who haven't tried them realize, and they're just getting better.
caitlyn

Nov 29, 2012
3:30 PM EDT
There are a growing number of tablets that have a snap-on keyboard which effectively converts them into a netbook. The ASUS models are particularly interesting. That sort of device seems incredibly useful to me -- the best of both worlds.

@notbob: Just because you have no use for something doesn't make people who do have stupi. Your title for this thread is offensive.
gus3

Nov 29, 2012
6:45 PM EDT
@Dino, you're not mentally challenged. You're a lawyer. Slightly different shade of meaning.
slacker_mike

Nov 29, 2012
8:30 PM EDT
First off just have to say this is a very offensively titled post and I am disappointed to see it on LXer.

I really don't get the irrational hatred to all things tablet. I will agree that a tablet does not replace a laptop or a desktop but to discount any and all functionality that a device of this form factor can offer is just silly. Tablets, smart phones, touch screens have their place as do the more traditional form factors of laptop and desktop.
JaseP

Nov 30, 2012
12:44 AM EDT
@gus3:

You know that you're insulting me as well as Dino,... right?!?!
tracyanne

Nov 30, 2012
1:08 AM EDT
Add me to the list of icon pushing retards, I just purchased a Galaxy Note... yeah, yeah, I know it's only got a 5 inch screen.
smallboxadmin

Nov 30, 2012
1:03 PM EDT
Add me to the list of people that feel this post title is very offensive and does not belong here.

Just because OP has no use for a product doesn't mean it's useless or worse intended for clueless noobs. There are plenty of productivity apps and utilities I use on a daily basis. I was just at the doctors yesterday and the doctor had a tablet with medical history and reports at their fingertips, literally, without having to tote around a notebook computer or have a desktop in every room. I have a student developing an app to record environmental data for our campus for our HVAC people. My son took a whole online course on his tablet this semester, while still taking traditional courses.

The shortsightedness and possibly lack of knowledge turned repulsive is embarrassing to this community.
BernardSwiss

Nov 30, 2012
1:30 PM EDT
The only thing that's preventing me from achieving full "retard" status is simply that I just haven't seen the particular tablet that I like well enough to justify the required price. (Not that I've looked that hard).

I've seen tablets I like, and prices I like, but not together. I expect that to change within a year or two. In the meantime, my ebook reader fills much of the gap.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 30, 2012
1:48 PM EDT
We need a tablet -- and a full computer for that matter -- that works with Matrix-like karate chopping through the air. It's more hygenic and cool looking. As long as we don't strike anybody in the face while computing, it should be OK.
cr

Nov 30, 2012
1:59 PM EDT
Quoting: We need a tablet -- and a full computer for that matter -- that works with Matrix-like karate chopping through the air. It's more hygenic and cool looking. As long as we don't strike anybody in the face while computing, it should be OK.

So you need a built-in peripheral that takes input through interpretive dance, sort of a Disconect?
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 30, 2012
2:03 PM EDT
I want the Macarana to mean something again. Also the Hand Jive.
Koriel

Nov 30, 2012
2:31 PM EDT
Well this retard loves both his Nexus 7 and my retarded wifes 5 inch Galaxy 5 Player both extremely useful especially for keeping my retarded icon pushing 4 1/2 year old sprog happy on a long aircraft flight.

My god were a family of retards their surely must be some sort of gov. benefits I can claim for this, all i can say is what a daft thread title never mind the offensiveness of it.
JaseP

Nov 30, 2012
2:47 PM EDT
Quoting: We need a tablet -- and a full computer for that matter -- that works with Matrix-like karate chopping through the air.

You mean like this?!?!....

http://www.gadget.com/2012/11/01/the-leap-input-device-for-c...
jdixon

Nov 30, 2012
4:19 PM EDT
> I've seen tablets I like, and prices I like, but not together.

Geeks.com seems to have the best prices on tablets I've seen. They're not top end units usually, but they seem to be pretty good spec-wise. Say this one: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=M860W&cat=TAB
BernardSwiss

Nov 30, 2012
4:56 PM EDT
Quoting: We need a tablet -- and a full computer for that matter -- that works with Matrix-like karate chopping through the air. It's more hygenic and cool looking. As long as we don't strike anybody in the face while computing, it should be OK.

Yeah. I can see it now...

"Man, is that guy in fantastict shape, or what? He must work in IT, or something."
BernardSwiss

Nov 30, 2012
4:58 PM EDT
Thanks, JaseP; I'll take a closer look.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2012
5:28 PM EDT
In case Scott reads this, how about changing all the t's in the offending word to w's? That way this thread would have such a nice, positive tone :)
smallboxadmin

Nov 30, 2012
5:29 PM EDT
Can we have a little more civility here?

Quoting:How "retardation" went from a clinical description to a word of derision

When they were originally introduced, the terms “mental retardation” or “mentally retarded” were medical terms with a specifically clinical connotation; however, the pejorative forms, “retard” and “retarded” have been used widely in today’s society to degrade and insult people with intellectual disabilities. Additionally, when “retard” and “retarded” are used as synonyms for “dumb” or “stupid” by people without disabilities, it only reinforces painful stereotypes of people with intellectual disabilities being less valued members of humanity.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2012
5:55 PM EDT
Quoting:Can we have a little more civility here?

I was trying to say the same without quoting what you'd think most people would know. However, given the start to this thread it's probably best that you quoted what you did.

I was recently at a big box retailer who had a cashier who appeared to have Downs' Syndrome. He worked at a slow but steady pace and did his job more than well enough. I've had cashiers who did not appear to have any disabilities who weren't as efficient or as friendly as he was. Kudos to the retailer in question for hiring him.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!