Dell without Windows

Story: Dell Laptop is $70 Cheaper with Ubuntu LinuxTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
ABCC

Nov 30, 2012
11:57 AM EDT
This is not new, at least not since this summer here in the Netherlands. I was able to choose whether or not to have windows installed on their new Latitude models (e6430/e6530).

They also offered an Ubuntu 11.10 install or, if y A model without Windows was approximately 75 euros cheaper than on with Win7 Pro.

I did have to ask our account manager for it but it wasn't at all a problem. They even removed the dvd-rw because I wanted to replace it with an aftermarket hdd bay.

Of course the touchpad isn't supported on Linux but that's a different story, slowly but surely they seem to have come around and are being more flexible with their customers' demands.

jdixon

Nov 30, 2012
1:02 PM EDT
You've were able to order Dell business class machines with Linux even before they started their Linux promotion several years ago. What was briefly different was the ability to order consumer class machines with Linux. But that was abandoned fairly quickly, and we're now largely back to only being able to order Linux on business class machines. And even there, the entire range of hardware options isn't always available. The Ubuntu laptop this article points to is only available with a Celeron processor. If you want the i3 processor, you have to buy Windows.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2012
3:16 PM EDT
It's still good news that Dell is at least supporting one ultrabook model, albeit an expensive, arguablly overpriced one with a less than stellar processor, outside the business line.

Also, wasn't the Dell Mini netbook available for about three years? That was a consumer class machine, right?
jdixon

Nov 30, 2012
4:37 PM EDT
> Also, wasn't the Dell Mini netbook available for about three years? That was a consumer class machine, right?

Yes, that was a Insipiron machine. It was also available as a Vostro model for a while. The last year or so of the Mini 9 was purely on closeout status though. They kept the Mini 10 and Mini 12 a bit longer, but they eventually disappeared too.

It looks like if you have an Enterprise account, the Latitude 2120 is still available. It seems to be a 10" netbook which comes with Ubuntu 10.10. Let's see, that's 4 revisions back, That would equate to Windows 2000 or ME. I think I should call Dell up and complain that I can't buy a machine with those versions of Windows.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2012
4:54 PM EDT
I think Dell should stick to supporting LTS versions of Ubuntu rather than ones which are no longer supported.
Fettoosh

Nov 30, 2012
4:59 PM EDT
Dell keeps playing the same game of shenanigans. They never intended or have any plans to support Linux. All they are doing is creating publicity for itself and getting better deals from MS.

They announce a new program or a new product that is specifically built and tailored for Linux, they get everyone in the tech media talking about it, they get the Linux community all excited about it, and they get MS to give them a deal that is better than the previous one.

How do I know that? Well, here is a list of reasons:

Every time they announce a new product, they make sure it is almost impossible to find on their site by customers.

If some one was able to find it, choices are severely limited to one or two lousy configurations that are almost useless.

While Windows configurations are plenty and tailorable, the Linux models are ice frozen.

If they have a good unit, they make sure it is more expensive than Windows version.

And if there is no Windows equivalent and tailored for a specific group like developers, they make it outrageously expensive.

Dell knows developers are not naive and would never purchase a computer that is not worth the price. Eventually they declare Linux doesn't sell.

Dell's shenanigans are actually harming Linux, and with a friend like Dell, who needs enemies.

CFWhitman

Nov 30, 2012
5:00 PM EDT
Ironically, 10.04 support hasn't ended yet. If Dell can't update to a 12.04LTS, you'd think they'd at least have the foresight to stick with Ubuntu 10.04LTS.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2012
5:17 PM EDT
Where Fettoosh sees malice I just see incompetence. I do think Dell would like to support Linux if there is money to be made. They just don't get how to put the two together.
jdixon

Nov 30, 2012
5:30 PM EDT
> If Dell can't update to a 12.04LTS, you'd think they'd at least have the foresight to stick with Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

The Mini 9 came with 8.04 LTS. But they never offered an upgrade version of 10.04. I manually upgraded myself. You lost most of the Dell customizations in the process, but that wasn't much of a loss. The only real loss was their custom install of a video chat program which otherwise wasn't available for Linux.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2012
5:50 PM EDT
I had a similar situation with my HP Mini 110, which came with 8.04 LTS and the Mi desktop. The real shame about HP dropping Linux was that Mi was probably a more promising new paradigm desktop than Unity or GNOME 3. HP understood that people would use their desktop with a keyboard and a mouse, not just on touch enabled devices. Oh well...
CFWhitman

Nov 30, 2012
5:56 PM EDT
Even 8.04 is still supported until the approaching April. That choice made sense when Dell offered it. To be selling a machine with 10.10 now just makes none. It doesn't matter to me because I load what I feel like loading, but it might matter to some potential Dell customers.
Fettoosh

Nov 30, 2012
7:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Where Fettoosh sees malice I just see incompetence.

@Caitlyn,

I would agree with you if it was only once or twice, but it has been several times and so obvious already.

I do recall once that one of Dell's managers responsible for Linux commented here on Lxer. He assured those who doubted Dell's efforts that this time it is serious and will carry it through. Unfortunately, nothing changed.caitlyn

Besides, Dell built his multi-billion company from a house basement, a case of incompetence is very unlikely.

jdixon

Nov 30, 2012
7:49 PM EDT
> Even 8.04 is still supported until the approaching April...

Eh? "Previous Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) releases are supported for 3 years on the desktop and 5 years on the server. Starting with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, LTS releases will be supported for 5 years on both the desktop and the server." 8.04 desktop support ended in April 2011.

> That choice made sense when Dell offered it.

Well, yeah. More sense than an 18 month version. But since they insisted on their own repositories and everything, they really should have customized a version of 10.04 when support for 8.04 was dropped, or at least posted instructions for upgrading via the standard repositories.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 30, 2012
8:09 PM EDT
If Dell had a deal with Ubuntu to support certain hardware, the bits needed to support it should be in Ubuntu's repositories, not in any Dell repository. And as a good faith gesture to users, Ubuntu should support that hardware going forward.

Just because vendors support Windows (and poorly) doesn't mean that model should be replicated when a vendor decides to ship Linux. Hardware vendors should code for their platforms and push that code upstream.
tuxchick

Nov 30, 2012
8:13 PM EDT
What Fettoosh said. Sheesh.
cr

Nov 30, 2012
10:42 PM EDT
{quote] I would agree with you if it was only once or twice, but it has been several times and so obvious already. [/quote]

Goldfinger's Law: Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action.
jdixon

Nov 30, 2012
11:10 PM EDT
> If Dell had a deal with Ubuntu to support certain hardware, the bits needed to support it should be in Ubuntu's repositories, not in any Dell repository.

It was in an Ubuntu repository. One especially set up for the Dell Mini 9 on the Ubuntu servers. Three guesses as to whose idea that was.

> And as a good faith gesture to users, Ubuntu should support that hardware going forward.

They did. Support for the hardware was merged into the main tree. 10.04 installed with minimal difficulties (the Broadcom wireless required special drivers, but that was about it). Ubuntu isn't responsible for Dell's software customizations.
BernardSwiss

Dec 01, 2012
2:56 AM EDT
Well, at least Dell hasn't pulled a boner quite as bad as the MSI Wind -- a loudly announced Linux system which didn't work properly as shipped.

(Of course, three out of four customers were quite ready and able to fix it, themselves, or put a more immediately useful distro on it. The other one out of four customers gave rise to the "high Linux returns" meme. It was evidently a Windows-licensing negotiation ploy. At the time, Dell at least piped up to point out clearly and explicitly that Dell's return rate on consumer Linux systems was the same as for their Windows equivalents. I wish I could dis-entangle the monopoly politics from the run of the mill corporate double-speak -- but I confess it's beyond me.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!