No matter how much Carla messes with the colors...

Story: Linux Tips: Fixing Blue YouTube People Total Replies: 10
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 03, 2012
6:14 PM EDT
Limor Fried's haircolor will always be interesting :) Next up: turning the Blue Man Group pink.

The article is certainly useful. Still, short paragraph on what hardware acceleration is supposed to do (rather than turn people blue) and what making a funky, buggy Flash version look normal might cost in other apps would be a nice addition. How much sacrifice is there in terms of video performance to make Flash behave?
number6x

Dec 03, 2012
6:27 PM EDT
I've lived in Chicago most of my life... One of the founding members owns a house on my street (but only his younger brother still lives there)...

And I'm finally going to see the Blue Man Group.

I won't try this fix during the show.
CFWhitman

Dec 03, 2012
6:32 PM EDT
There is another fix that I applied a while back so that you can keep hardware acceleration. However, I think that the newest NVidia drivers automatically detect and compensate for this Flash bug. At least Ubuntu Studio 12.10 doesn't seem to suffer from this problem on hardware that used to exhibit it with Ubuntu Studio 12.04.

Since the cause of the bug is the swapping of the red and blue channels when Flash uses VDPAU, anything which is blue will show up some kind of pink or red when you play these videos with the bugged setup.
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2012
7:17 PM EDT
6x --

Prepare to enjoy yourself! We saw them a couple of years ago with our two youngest child-Americans.

A BLAST!

Theatre's in a pretty interesting area, too.
tuxchick

Dec 03, 2012
7:18 PM EDT
I hear you, Caitlyn, but I couldn't get any definitive information. libvdpau is supposed to behave somewhat like Direct X, and offload offload additional video processing to the GPU. So theoretically, Flash videos should place an increased load on system CPU with hardware acceleration turned off. But in my limited testing I didn't find any difference with it on or off. Flash for Linux is a trainwreck anyway.
tuxchick

Dec 03, 2012
7:38 PM EDT
And thanks for appreciating the choice of Limor Fried for the examples :)
number6x

Dec 03, 2012
7:39 PM EDT
Thanks dino,

We're taking our kids (11 and 13). We're sitting in the second row center (splash zone) so it should be fun.

We live pretty close, just a few miles west. We usually only pass through going to the beach.

It should be fun.

Carla,

I don't notice flash load on the CPU unless I'm running more than 2. Try a few tabs and see if you get the same results. I've got a dual core machine, I should see what happens on a single and a quad...
Bob_Robertson

Dec 04, 2012
9:56 AM EDT
> We're sitting in the second row center (splash zone) so it should be fun.

Gallagher?
number6x

Dec 04, 2012
12:40 PM EDT
Blue Man Group, like the Flash videos on Nvdia cards
Bob_Robertson

Dec 04, 2012
1:13 PM EDT
Sorry, 6, I was making a joke about "splash zone".
caitlyn

Dec 04, 2012
6:09 PM EDT
Quoting:Flash for Linux is a trainwreck anyway.
Tell me about it. Sadly, until and unless gnash progresses quite a bit farther we're stuck with running Flash so long as that's what web developers commonly use.
Quoting:And thanks for appreciating the choice of Limor Fried for the examples :)
It's hard not to appreciate Limor Fried and what she's accomplished.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!