So... will RMS be accused of Ubuntu-bashing or bias?

Story: Ubuntu Spyware: What to Do?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 07, 2012
6:25 PM EDT
It seems to happen to anyone who ever said anything negative of the beloved and worshipped U, so I have to ask.
BernardSwiss

Dec 07, 2012
9:06 PM EDT
So... will RMS be accused of not Ubuntu-bashing or not being biased?

FTFY ;-)

tuxchick

Dec 07, 2012
9:15 PM EDT
I think RMS is going to have a lot of supporters on this.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 07, 2012
10:30 PM EDT
Ubuntu has a way of pissing people off with very little upside for them. It boggles the mind.

This doesn't help at all. I'm starting to use Ubuntu on the server, mostly because of the community-generated documentation being so good, but I just don't like the way Canonical is going about things.
nmset

Dec 08, 2012
9:25 AM EDT
> "... the community-generated documentation being so good..."

I would have said that of Arch Linux !

It seems that whenever we deal with a big company, of whatever business nature, we are dead. Fortunately choice is not a problem here.
tuxchick

Dec 08, 2012
1:04 PM EDT
Quoting: It seems that whenever we deal with a big company, of whatever business nature, we are dead.

Not always. SUSE and Red Hat, as far as I know, don't resort to scammy tricks to generate revenues. Linux Mint has a deal with Duck Duck Go to make some money, they're very upfront about it, and it's easy to change to a different default search engine. I think scammy comes from within.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 08, 2012
1:37 PM EDT
Arch documentation is even better, but I don't want a rolling release on the server. But I must acknowledge The Arch Wiki and forums for helping me on numerous occasions.
flufferbeer

Dec 08, 2012
4:30 PM EDT
@tuxchick,

>> I think RMS is going to have a lot of supporters on this.

Count another bunch of us in on supporting RMS here as well. He at least has the GUTS to call it as it is!

>> I think scammy comes from within.

I think the "within" here for Baboontu CLEARLY means the top people there; namely $huttleworthless, JBacon and a few others. While Baboontu's many fanbois certainly aren't furthering their worshipped distro's scamminess, it wouldn't be above them to keep VOCALLY SUPPORTING the darn distro!

2c
tracyanne

Dec 08, 2012
6:43 PM EDT
I guess I was right to have reservations about Jono Bacon, when lots of people, here and elsewhere, were saying how wonderful it is that he's the Ubuntu community Manager, that someone with real integrity is looking out for Community interests.

What we are seeing is that his job is just another arm of Canonical's marketing department. That basically he's little more than a shill for Mark Shuttleworth.
tuxchick

Dec 08, 2012
7:34 PM EDT
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it"
BernardSwiss

Dec 08, 2012
9:33 PM EDT
Quoting: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it"

Possibly the cognitive dissonance involved is what fed Bacon's feelings of hurt and outrage over Stallman's calling a spade a spade?

-

(BTW -- though for some reason I tend to credit either John Kenneth Galbraith or John Maynard Keynes for that quote, it was actually Upton Sinclair who said it (or at least, said it first). Obviously I need to get better acquainted with Mr. Sinclair's work.)

caitlyn

Dec 10, 2012
12:36 PM EDT
I expect RMS will get a lot of support, but absolutely none of it will come from the Ubuntu communityy. They are loyal to a fault.
gus3

Dec 10, 2012
2:29 PM EDT
Quoting:I expect RMS will get a lot of support, but absolutely none of it will come from the Ubuntu community.
I would revise that, thus:

Quoting:I expect RMS will get a lot of support, but absolutely none of it will come from the visible Ubuntu community.

Because my mother is a member of the "Ubuntu community." It's been during this two-year stint that her comfort with Linux has grown, and her understanding of system issues is much clearer ("Yes, I should get a backup drive!"). However, she doesn't take part in online conversations, outside emails.

Thus, she's a member of the U community, and self-identifies as such, but does not publicize it.
flufferbeer

Jan 04, 2013
2:11 AM EDT
@ta,

> What we are seeing is that his job is just another arm of Canonical's marketing department. That basically he's little more than a shill for Mark Shuttleworth.

Gotta be wondering what JBacon's gonna say now about all the unlimited glories of the new Baboooontu smartphone, including his probable complete AVOIDANCE of the still-relevant Spyware issue as per the dictates of his boss, the Almighty $huttleworthless. So far, his silence on the controversial latter issue sure is deafening!

My 2c again
lcafiero

Jan 06, 2013
3:24 AM EDT
Wait. What's with all this Ubuntu critique? That's my job! :-)

It's surprising that no one from the Ubuntu Apocalypse -- the zombie fanbois flufferbeer mentions several comments above -- has chimed in yet.

BernardSwiss: Upton Sinclair -- yes, get familiar with his work.
montezuma

Jan 06, 2013
8:05 PM EDT
@Caitlyn,

I used to be a part of the "Ubuntu community". There were a lot of fan grrls/boys on the fora alright but I did do a lot of bashing especially over Unity and was tolerated. I suspect the fanmorondom has a lot to do with self selection. I am an example. I rarely visit the Ubuntu fora anymore and in the early years I was a regular. After a while the simpering got too much to bear.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!