I'm not a grammar Nazi, but ...

Story: SprezzOS: Linux On A Server In 120 SecondsTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
djohnston

Jan 24, 2013
5:17 PM EDT
What is it with native English speakers who don't understand their own language?

Quoting:Well, SprezzOS is now out in the while.

Well, if it wasn't it would be wild, wouldn't it? Better than that something else, I guess. If the code is to lose, the developers might loose it.

HoTMetaL

Jan 24, 2013
8:34 PM EDT
The texting generation is comfortable with literary stupidity. It's only getting worst.
BernardSwiss

Jan 24, 2013
10:56 PM EDT
The renowned linguist, Dr. Henry Higgins, addressed this topic quite some years ago, when the problem was even worse:

YouTube: Why Can't The English?
djohnston

Jan 25, 2013
12:06 AM EDT
Quoting:It's only getting worst.

8^)

jacog

Jan 25, 2013
3:44 AM EDT
Only u can make a different's.
caitlyn

Jan 25, 2013
1:31 PM EDT
Just remember what catbert said: The longer you work here diverse it gets. HoTMetaL is wright. It's only getting wurst.
nickblack

Jan 31, 2013
11:46 AM EDT
whoa, surely i didn't post such, did i?
nickblack

Jan 31, 2013
11:48 AM EDT
i hope that was in a comment, and not my original posting of the video. i'm typically a militant grammarian, and would hope to be corrected on such!

sorry for the late reply; i just found this in an unrelated search :).

--nick black (founder, sprezzos project)
djohnston

Feb 01, 2013
7:24 AM EDT
Quoting:i hope that was in a comment, and not my original posting of the video. i'm typically a militant grammarian, and would hope to be corrected on such!

sorry for the late reply; i just found this in an unrelated search :).

--nick black (founder, sprezzos project)

No, Nick, it was a quote from the second line of the article on Phoronix. Ordinarily, I'd just let it slide. I must have had a bee in my bonnet that day.

CFWhitman

Feb 01, 2013
10:08 AM EDT
To be fair, this most likely is really a problem with inadequate proofreading rather than anyone not knowing that the proper word is "wild." It's the old typo followed by a 'too quick spell check run' error. That is, he makes a typo like typing "e" rather than "d" and ends up with "wile" instead of "wild." Then he runs a spell check to catch errors in the article, the first suggestion is "while" (of course) and he makes another error in accepting that without looking too closely.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!