Thank you, tracyanne

Story: Open source initiatives can strengthen cities’ downtown revitalizationTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Jan 31, 2013
4:21 PM EDT
You've just posted an article from a site that Sam Varghese just dismissed as "Propaganda, Red Hat style". I don't see a single word about Red Hat. Not one. Yes, it's about the city of Raleigh and open initiatives, and Red Hat is based in Raleigh, but that's as close to a link as you'll find. The same things could be accomplished with nary a Red Hat product in sight and, again, none is mentioned here. So, thank you for making my point in the other thread about Mr. Varghese's crusade against Red Hat so perfectly clear.

Oh, and yes, it's a good article and I'd like to see more cities adopt open initiatives :)
tracyanne

Jan 31, 2013
5:41 PM EDT
All part of the service.
linuxwriter

Jan 31, 2013
8:24 PM EDT
Red Hat runs the site. Hence anything appearing on it reflects their style of operation. And the articles are subtle, not the bull-in-a-china-shop approach that you adopt.
BernardSwiss

Jan 31, 2013
9:23 PM EDT
Quoting: Red Hat runs the site. Hence anything appearing on it reflects their style of operation. And the articles are subtle, not the bull-in-a-china-shop approach that you adopt

Ok, that did made me chuckle.

But only because of the source. It's rather like Oliver Hardy criticizing Stan Laurel over his eating habits.
caitlyn

Feb 01, 2013
11:00 AM EDT
There is no dispute that the site is owned and operated by Red Hat. However, looking at the article in question, what about it is propaganda? What about it serves Red Hat's interests specifically? Please enlighten me because I just can't find what you're referring to here.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 01, 2013
1:12 PM EDT
Red Hat is the rare company that really does give back. Sure they do a lot that helps their own business, but every single Linux distribution out there benefits from the work of Red Hat.
DrGeoffrey

Feb 01, 2013
6:22 PM EDT
And what, I wonder, has the complainant offered the community? Beside, of course, throwing his poo all over the place.
caitlyn

Feb 01, 2013
6:52 PM EDT
In fairness, he has written some good, factual articles and done some good reporting now and again. His coverage of Ted Ts'o's comments on rape avoided sensationalizing and just laid out the facts neatly. The facts were damning in and of themselves and Mr. Varghese's two columns were the most effective writing I saw on the subject.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!