Good news, some disagreements with the article

Story: HP Officially Launches Pavilion 14 ChromebookTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
caitlyn

Feb 04, 2013
6:47 PM EDT
First, HP jumping back into Linux for consumers is good news. The more tier one vendors carrying Linux boxes the better.

I commented on the article page and here is what I wrote:

The comparison between Linux netbooks and Chromebooks is more than a bit fallacious. Chromebooks are a relatively new product. A comparison to netbooks in February, 2008 would be fair and at that point Linux netbooks were selling like proverbial hotcakes and continued to sell well for another couple of years. What killed the netbook wasn’t Linux; it was that the various vendors agreed to artificial limitations on the hardware in order to get favorable pricing on Windows. Netbooks were simply not permitted to keep up with advancing technology. Of course they died.

The difference this time around is that Microsoft is trying to compete directly with hardware vendors and those vendors no longer feel they can tie themselves to Microsoft. They need alternatives.

{Two commenters] PCGuy and CrapBook: You’re views are interesting but totally wrong. First, the hardware isn’t garbage. Don’t like the cloud based OS or Google harvesting your data? Install the nice, shiny new OpenSUSE (Linux) image for the ChromeBook and it will run a nice, normal OS in a nice, normal way. ChromeBooks are just low end netbooks with ARM processors, nothing more, nothing less. At that price point they are selling very well. The vendors are anything but stupid.
tracyanne

Feb 04, 2013
7:38 PM EDT
I. assume you meant low end NOTEbooks and not Low end NETbooks as was written
BernardSwiss

Feb 04, 2013
9:12 PM EDT
@Caitlyn

... the various vendors agreed to artificial limitations on the hardware in order to get favorable pricing on Windows and favorable pricing on/reliable delivery of Intel CPUs.

Much as I like to lambaste MS, Intel deserves a significant share of the blame.
caitlyn

Feb 05, 2013
4:45 AM EDT
@ta: Correct. Low end notebooks.
gary_newell

Feb 05, 2013
9:19 AM EDT
I love my netbook. It is running Bodhi Linux and is incredibly reliable, has good performance and does everything a tablet can.

I'm still confused with the whole tablet thing. Other than play games and watch the big bang theory what can you use it for?
jdixon

Feb 05, 2013
9:23 AM EDT
> Other than play games and watch the big bang theory what can you use it for?

Pretty much anything you'd do on a netbook that doesn't require a keyboard.
CFWhitman

Feb 05, 2013
9:58 AM EDT
I've noticed some odd small vendors are selling smartbooks with Android on them. With the right combination of power and price point, those could do better than some people might expect and end up being some of the bigger competition for Chromebooks (not that Google would probably cry all that hard over that).
gary_newell

Feb 05, 2013
12:39 PM EDT
> Pretty much anything you'd do on a netbook that doesn't require a keyboard

I was right first time then.... play games and watch the big bang theory
jdixon

Feb 05, 2013
3:00 PM EDT
> I was right first time then.... play games and watch the big bang theory

Oh, I don't know, Inventory of bar coded items would be a good use case. Limited video and audio editing might be feasible. Spreadsheet manipulations should be doable. Database searching and access should also be possible. And even statistical analysis of existing data might work OK. The possibilities are really only limited by your hardware capabilities, the limitations of your gui tools, and the amount of typing required. And if you add a good bluetooth keyboard, even the typing limitation goes away.
BernardSwiss

Feb 05, 2013
7:32 PM EDT
Tablets are excellent for:

Planes, trains and buses (and coffee shops).

Anyplace where a keyboard-tray is liable to be an inconvenience.

(Those are situations in which I pull out a book, or magnesia or maybe a dedicated e-book reader -- I spend too much time in front of a computer, as is).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!