It certainly loads much faster

Story: LibreOffice releases new, faster version Total Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Feb 09, 2013
9:04 PM EDT
after the first time. The first time load is probably no faster than before. So obviously there is a stub retained in memory.

I don't think much of Personas, I tried several, and all they really did was make the menu and tool bars difficult to see. It was only after I found a graduated grey persona call Silver2 that I got something that actually looked good.

I've only had a very short look at LibreOffice, but so far my impression is that most of the changes are under the hood, so to speak.
dinotrac

Feb 10, 2013
12:13 AM EDT
So....unrelated question... Going through my archives, I came upon a number of old kword files. Anybody know a good available app that can read/convert those? Looks like koffice went belly-up last year, and Calligra doesn't like the file format.
tracyanne

Feb 10, 2013
12:28 AM EDT
I take it, then, that you have tried LibreOffice.
dinotrac

Feb 10, 2013
1:29 AM EDT
@ta --

I have, with no luck.
rnturn

Feb 10, 2013
1:49 AM EDT
Quoting:"The first time load is probably no faster than before. So obviously there is a stub retained in memory."

Ugh... That might be useful for people who live in their word processor all day (but for those folks, why would they need a faster restart? After loading it in the morning just keep it up) but for occasional users (like me) we shut the program down because we're done with it. I want that memory back for use by other programs. The version of LO on my lowly Dell laptop loads and is ready for input in about 5-6 seconds. How impatient does one need to be to be griping about that, apparently, interminable wait?
tracyanne

Feb 10, 2013
2:26 AM EDT
@rnturn, yeah the first time load of the new version (4.0) of LibreOffice is still about the same as OpenOffice, and the previous version of LibreOffice (3.6 on my machine) 5 to 6 seconds sounds about right. Subsequent loads take about 1 second, on my rig.
tracyanne

Feb 10, 2013
3:11 AM EDT
Interestingly I can't find any process that seems related to LibreOffice, when I shut down LibreOffice, which suggests there is no stub in memory.
jdixon

Feb 10, 2013
11:46 AM EDT
> I came upon a number of old kword files. Anybody know a good available app that can read/convert those?

Know of, no. But a quck search on the problem turns up this hint from the openoffice fora:

"Edit: It seems Abiword have a plugin for kword files: http://www.abisource.com/wiki/PluginMatrix "

So I'd try Abiword and see if that plugin works.

One of my many problems with KDE is that they do seem to abandon a lot of software.
dinotrac

Feb 10, 2013
1:42 PM EDT
@jdixon --

Good suggestion. I'll give it a whirl.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!