a good piece

Story: Ubuntu? Fedora? Mint? Debian? We'll find you the right Linux to swallowTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
gary_newell

Feb 19, 2013
11:04 AM EDT
I thought this was a good article. There is a little bit of jargon that might confuse the new user but informative nonetheless.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 19, 2013
11:51 AM EDT
The writer mentioned Debian in the headline but nowhere in the rest of the piece unless I missed it.
djohnston

Feb 19, 2013
4:19 PM EDT
Quoting:for those that want more of an adventure, plain Debian

Although I don't agree with the premise, it's the only place in the article where Debian is mentioned. He also mentions Arch, which was not in his "recommended" list.
JaseP

Feb 19, 2013
5:45 PM EDT
Does Arch make ANYONE'S recommended list [Jase ducks]???
caitlyn

Feb 19, 2013
6:54 PM EDT
Actually, I think Arch offers a lot of the same get under the hood and learn opportunities that Slackware and CRUX offer but, rather than being very conservative in their packages, they provide a cutting edge alternative. While Arch isn't my first choice I can see where it would make a whole lot of sense for some people.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 20, 2013
1:15 AM EDT
I missed the Debian reference. Overall it's not much of an article.

Most users follow a progression of sorts from one distro to another. I still see Ubuntu, and probably now Mint, as the typical first distro. Care has been taken to ease the difficulty in installation, and there is plenty of help available.

I've run all of these (Mint the least), and I can say that Debian and Fedora are NOT "first" distro candidates.

But all it takes is a few months of experimenting before you can handle just about anything. As long as you're willing to install, tweak and reinstall, you'll be fine. Learning the skills of configuration, troubleshooting, setup and backup are what you'll gain along the way.

After a few months, you can pretty much run anything, I figure.
kikinovak

Feb 21, 2013
1:41 AM EDT
+++ Rolling releases in a nutshell +++

1) Nice documentation.

2) Upgrade your system after a holiday and weep.

3) Every six months something explodes horribly in your face.

:o)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!