One distribution to rule them all!

Story: Sabayon 11 GNOME, KDE, MATE, and Xfce previewTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
cmost

Feb 22, 2013
7:46 AM EDT
I've been using Sabayon since 2009, after using mainly Debian (Mepis, Sidux, Mint, Parsix) for years. I have to say that Sabayon is the most flexible, powerful distribution I've ever encountered.

First, it's based on Gentoo but is a binary distribution. That means packages are quickly and easily installed with equo (similar to apt-get) or via a GUI (either Rigo or Sulfur) that is similar to Synaptic or Ubuntu's Software store. Sabayon, like Debian also has three repository levels, stable, Weekly and Limbo, that allows users to enjoy a rock solid stable experience or live on the bleeding edge. Dyed in the wool Gentoo fans will appreciate that emerge and portage are also standing by and in full working order should users wish to manage Sabayon in the more conventional Gentoo way once they get it installed to their piece of kit.

Speaking of installation, Sabayon uses the powerful and mature Anaconda as its installer which means getting it onto hardware is a piece of cake. The latest version, Sabayon 11 now includes UEFI support allowing it to boot on newer hardware carrying Windows 8 certification. Sabayon offers myriad desktop choices from popular heavyweights such as Gnome 3.x, KDE 4.9.x or XFCE 4.x to lesser known but popular alternatives like Mint's innovative Cinnamon, the revived Gnome 2.x fork MATE and newcomer Razor-Qt which is a lightweight desktop similar to XFCE but built with Qt. There's something to satisfy all tastes or hardware requirements. Also noteworthy is that Sabayon includes multimedia codecs and proprietary drivers right out of the box.

Finally, Sabayon's forums, unlike those of Gentoo's, are filled with friendly, knowledgeable folks who won't bristle at newbie questions or bite your head off for not RTFM. Highly recommended!
Jeff91

Feb 22, 2013
10:12 AM EDT
What exactly does "based on Gentoo" mean for Sabayon if they don't use Gentoo's package manager? I was always slightly confused by that idea since things that are "based on Debian" or "based on Ubuntu" use the systems packages on which they are based.

~Jeff
cmost

Feb 22, 2013
7:35 PM EDT
@ Jeff91

Based on Gentoo means that Sabayon is compatible with Gentoo because it was built from Gentoo. The difference is that instead of installing Gentoo proper, which is an arduous process that involves building the system from the ground up by compiling the source code for all of its components yourself, Sabayon pre-compiles Gentoo and all of it's packages into binaries; it adds the easy-to-use Anaconda installer and allows you to manage packages using Sabayon's own binary package manager which IMHO is much easier, especially for beginners. That doesn't mean one can't use Gentoo's package manager if one wants which essentially converts the system to Gentoo proper after it's installed. Keep in mind though that one cannot mix the two package managers. Does this answer your question?
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 22, 2013
9:12 PM EDT
the main difference is binary packages vs. compiling everything ... and Sabayon comes much more packed and set up, from what I recall.
Jeff91

Feb 23, 2013
12:34 AM EDT
Yea @cmost.

It just still confuses me to no end why you would include two package managers on the same system that can't be used together :(

I remember trying Sabayon 7 or 8 a few years ago and fragging the system cause I didn't know that.

~Jeff
cmost

Feb 23, 2013
11:52 AM EDT
@ Steven_Rosenber

Yes, the Sabayon team creates a very well equipped, polished distro that's suitable right out of the box for newbies and seasoned experts alike. Anyone who has been interested in Gentoo but put off by its intimidating installation or maintenance should definitely give Sabayon a try.

@ Jeff91

The Sabayon community makes it very clear that users should pick one package management system or the other (e.g., Gentoo's emerge/portage versus Sabayon's own equo/sulfur/rigo) and not mix the two. The reason both are offered is because Linux is all about choice. Some more technically experienced users might want to get a Gentoo box up and running quickly and then administer it in Gentoo's conventional sources based way. Other users may not be interested in optimizing packages, fooling with overlays or typing in crypic commands when installing packages. This is where Sabayon's binary package management system comes into play. You know it's also possible for Gentoo users to add Sabayon's overlay to their systems and enjoy the fruits of Sabayon's labors. It's truly the best of both worlds.
Jeff91

Feb 25, 2013
12:01 PM EDT
@cmost Like I said - that was a long time ago. I'm glad they document it, but I'd be willing to bet most folks are "dive in first and read documents later" type folks when it comes to trying Linux distros.

I just feel it is like leaving the cookie jar open and then getting upset that someone ate them even though there was a sign telling them not too...

Just my 2 pence though.

~Jeff
gus3

Feb 25, 2013
5:21 PM EDT
@Jeff91, most Linux-trying-out types are the types who also ask, "What happens if I push this big red button with the 'DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON!' sign next to it?"
caitlyn

Feb 25, 2013
5:57 PM EDT
@gus3: A sign lights up saying "Please do not press this button again."

Just remember, 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything,

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!