What about net neutrality?

Story: The Copyright Alert System: How the New “Six Strikes” Anti-Piracy Program WorksTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Jeff91

Feb 27, 2013
4:24 PM EDT
I'll admit I'm not as educated on the topics of internet legalities as I wish I was.

Where does this type of action leave net neutrality? If the ISPs start monitoring some of the traffic on their networks doesn't that mean they become responsible for ALL traffic that exists on their network?

Or am I not understanding how things are suppose to work.

~Jeff
caitlyn

Feb 27, 2013
4:40 PM EDT
Quoting:Or am I not understanding how things are suppose to work.
Pardon my cynicism, but I think it's supposed to work however the copyright holders, the RIAA and the MPAA want it to work.
jdixon

Feb 27, 2013
5:18 PM EDT
> If the ISPs start monitoring some of the traffic on their networks doesn't that mean they become responsible for ALL traffic that exists on their network?

The ISP's aren't the ones doing the monitoring. They're receiving the notices of infringing activity and sending out the messages. Unfortunately, there's no presumption of innocence or due process involved.
BernardSwiss

Feb 27, 2013
8:44 PM EDT
And, it's not clear what supposedly merits consideration as "infringing activity".

Bob_Robertson

Feb 28, 2013
10:02 AM EDT
Jeff, I don't think "net neutrality" is the phrase you're looking for.

I think what you meant was "Common Carrier".

The Common Carrier fight was because the ISPs and hosting companies didn't want to be responsible for whatever legal violations the users would be accused of. So, by getting themselves positioned as "common carriers", all they did was shuffle packets and were not responsible for the contents of said packets.

Same as phone companies who are not guilty of aiding in the commission of a crime just because their phone circuits were used by the criminals, etc.

"Net Neutrality" is about controlling what services the users have access to, such as your ISP, who sells a particular service, throttling the packet rates of their customers when they're using a competing service from some other company.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!