A lot of markup!

Story: Call for help: Slackware on an ARM Chromebook?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Jeff91

Mar 20, 2013
4:29 PM EDT
I forget how lucky I am sometimes to live in the US in terms of computer pricing. He needs 299 EU to pick up a chromebook... That is around 385 USD - over 50% more than the retail cost of a Chromebook in the US.

~Jeff
Bob_Robertson

Mar 20, 2013
4:32 PM EDT
VAT and other taxes.

Think that's bad, you should see the price of petrol.
notbob

Mar 20, 2013
4:39 PM EDT
Thanks for posting this story, s-mike. A-bob most definitely deserves some compensation for all the work he's put in on behalf of Slackware. I've been remiss in reading his blog and didn't see his humble request for aid. I committed cuz I owe A-bob a lot more than he owes me. nuff said.
slacker_mike

Mar 20, 2013
10:05 PM EDT
Eric Hameleers provides invaluable services to the Slackware community. The packages and scripts he provides are of the highest quality.
mbaehrlxer

Mar 20, 2013
11:10 PM EDT
when you buy something from other countries you are supposed to pay your local VAT, not that from the other country.

yet some years ago i got a laptop from the US through a friend (couldn't order online) because i noticed that even if they made me pay local VAT on top of the US VAT and shipping, i'd still save money!

greetings, eMBee.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 21, 2013
8:49 AM EDT
MB, the US is much like that as well.

The way the laws are structured, "sales tax" is local. So sales through mail-order or online generally do not have the sales tax added on, because the seller is in a different state.

It is then the legal responsibility of the buyer to report the purchase to their local tax office and pay the sales tax. But almost no one does, so there's a lot of legal pressure being brought to force online sellers (and, I assume, anyone who does interstate sales) to charge and pay the sales tax local to the buyer.

A paperwork nightmare!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!