Like when Marcel talks about command line stuff, but,...

Story: Mastering The Linux Shell - Getting PermissionTotal Replies: 24
Author Content
JaseP

Apr 02, 2013
8:58 AM EDT
I Like when Marcel talks about command line stuff. But, I wish I could filter his blog to block out the articles where he talks about (OK,... bashes... ) religion.
jdixon

Apr 02, 2013
9:11 AM EDT
> But, I wish I could filter his blog to block out the articles where he talks about (OK,... bashes... ) religion.

I hadn't been to his blog before to notice, but I see what you mean from the titles just below it.

It's unfortunate when someone makes a decision to deliberately alienate up to a third of his potential readership, but it's his decision. If it bothers you the only reasonable thing to do is respect his decision and not go to his blog.

Sometimes the bad outweighs the good, and you just have throw it all out. This applies to a lot in life, unfortunately.
JaseP

Apr 02, 2013
9:22 AM EDT
I just think that he if he has the chutzpah to attack people's religions, he should allow comments to those blog posts. I understand his decision not to do so... but it seems like a bit of cowardice. I, personally, don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water. So, I'll continue to read his blog, the Linux stuff, anyways.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 02, 2013
10:24 AM EDT
Ya know, using Marcel the Shell as an instructor for the Linux shell would be great.
freethinker

Apr 02, 2013
11:08 AM EDT
Hey JaseP, and others.

Marcel here. While I respect and understand that I might offend people with my posts on religion, please accept that it's religion I bash, not people who believe. There is a difference. I see religion as largely a destructive and divisive force that does more harm than good; while it may not seem that way, I criticize because I think it's the right thing to do.

That said, I have taken the step of breaking out the Linux only stuff into my http://cookingwithlinux.com site. If you can't get past my opinions on other topics, I can guarantee a safe and religion-free experience on that site. :-) My main site, marcelgagne.com, will always have all my posts on whatever topic happens to amuse me at the time.

Once again, I don't offend people with a presence of malice; it's a side effect of my doing what I think is the right thing.

As for comments, I am more than willing to entertain discussion on Google Plus or Facebook (join me if you like) but as I am just one person, I was finding it hard to deal with the sheer weight of comment spam I was getting, even with all the blacklist and anti-spam protection I was employing. It has nothing to do with a fear of negative comments. If I ever get rich and famous, I'll turn them back on and hire somebody to deal with them. [ insert appropriate smiley here ]

-- Marcel
jdixon

Apr 02, 2013
11:34 AM EDT
> I, personally, don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water. So, I'll continue to read his blog, the Linux stuff, anyways.

A perfectly understandable position. As I said, if it bothers you.

Personally, it's obvious Marcel doesn't want me reading his material, so I'll do as he wishes, and not do so.

> ...please accept that it's religion I bash, not people who believe.

Uhm. No. I don't accept that. Belief can be a considered and conscious choice.

> I criticize because I think it's the right thing to do.

I'm sure you do.

> Once again, I don't offend people with a presence of malice; it's a side effect of my doing what I think is the right thing.

And the side effect of your doing so is that I won't bother to read your material, no matter where it's posted. But that's your choice. I wouldn't want to deprive you of it,

But this thread comes dangerously close to crossing (if not having crossed) the TOS. So I'll drop the matter.
JaseP

Apr 02, 2013
1:30 PM EDT
Quoting: That said, I have taken the step of breaking out the Linux only stuff into my http://cookingwithlinux.com site.

Thanks, Marcel... Do you replicate all your Linux articles there???
freethinker

Apr 02, 2013
2:18 PM EDT
Hello again, JaseP,

The answer to your question is yes, I intend to, and I will, post all my Linux and free software stuff in full at http://cookingwithlinux.com meaning you can get your Linux/FOSS fix minus all the other bits.

-- Marcel
JaseP

Apr 02, 2013
2:28 PM EDT
Once again,... Thanks, Marcel!
djohnston

Apr 02, 2013
3:12 PM EDT
Might want to change that post slightly, as the URL is pointing to "http://cookingwithlinux.com,/", (with a comma included), rather than "http://cookingwithlinux.com/ ".
HoTMetaL

Apr 03, 2013
2:49 AM EDT
Quoting:I see religion as largely a destructive and divisive force that does more harm than good
Thank you, Marcel, for stating what is obvious to about one in ten of us. Rock on with your excellent blog. You needn't change a thing.
tracyanne

Apr 03, 2013
4:47 AM EDT
Quoting:Marcel here. While I respect and understand that I might offend people with my posts on religion, please accept that it's religion I bash..

And may you continue to do so.
jdixon

Apr 03, 2013
11:03 AM EDT
> ...Thank you, Marcel...And may you continue to do so....

To each his own. You're the type of reader Marcel wants.

He doesn't want me. Who am I to argue with him?
caitlyn

Apr 10, 2013
2:40 PM EDT
He doesn't want me either. I often find atheists to be the most religiously intolerant and evangelistic people on the planet. A little respect for other beliefs goes a very long way.
tracyanne

Apr 10, 2013
5:46 PM EDT
Unfortunately not all beliefs are equal. I can have no respect for the beliefs of a Psychotic... I can respect that the person holds those ridiculous beliefs, but out of respect for the person and life in general, I believe it is in that persons best interests to discover the truth about those beliefs to seek a cure. So no, no respect for ridiculous beliefs.
caitlyn

Apr 10, 2013
7:26 PM EDT
It's OK, ta, I'm very used to the rudeness of radical, evangelistic atheists so I'm not offended, only amused. Respect? You completely lost mine ages ago. I guess that feeling is mutual.
jdixon

Apr 10, 2013
7:56 PM EDT
> Unfortunately not all beliefs are equal.

Absolutely. Some are true and some aren't. It's perhaps a shame we won't know for certain which until it's too late to do anything about it. One reason for respecting the beliefs of others is the knowledge (among those willing to admit it) that you can always be wrong.

> So no, no respect for ridiculous beliefs.

Ridiculousness, like many other things, largely resides in the eye or the beholder.
HoTMetaL

Apr 11, 2013
4:10 AM EDT
Quoting:One reason for respecting the beliefs of others is the knowledge (among those willing to admit it) that you can always be wrong.
And a fair reason that is. Most atheists and agnostic people I know would agree with you. However, show me one religious person who is willing to admit they might be wrong about their imaginary maker in the sky and I'll sh*t you a turd of gold. More blood has been shed in the name of religion than for any other false cause. Millions of lives lost over adsurb belief systems that are completely made up by man as time passes. How many have died in the Atheist cause? Tens maybe?

I'll respect your beliefs when you stop flying planes into buildings, bombing women's clinics, persecuting gays & lesbians, and molesting children under the name of your made-up "religion." I don't believe in a magic space savior for the same reasons I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

Religion harms far more than it helps. And it always has throughout its brief history.
tracyanne

Apr 11, 2013
7:24 AM EDT
Actually Caitlyn I have a great deal of respect for what you have achieved, and therefore for you as a person. But in all honesty I think It would be disrespectful for me to lie to you and pretend that I respect some of your beliefs. The same goes for JD, there are many views he expresses that I respect, even if I don't always agree, but obviously once again I cannot respect certain of his beliefs, and I believe it is disrespectful to him, for me to pretend otherwise.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but I would not want you to pretend respect for me that you do not honestly feel.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 11, 2013
8:22 AM EDT
You May be Hot Metal, but you cannot deny the veracity of the Easter Bunny!

Look every year they find finely painted Easter Eggs on the White House Lawn ... your NOT saying the President would lie about such an important issue? [Unless it were a Patriotic Duty necessitated by the Letter of the Law.]

YBT

P.S.

I must admit that one of your estimates may be off. It is hard to assess what were the true beliefs of either Pol Pot in Cambodia or even Stalin (and Lenin before him) in their quest for power where millions were killed. However, a good argument could be made that both of those named were driven by their hunger for power whereas their views upon the existence or non existence of a celestial power played an insignificant role in driving their actions.
jdixon

Apr 11, 2013
11:06 AM EDT
> However, show me one religious person who is willing to admit they might be wrong about their imaginary maker in the sky and I'll sh*t you a turd of gold.

Have I ever said I couldn't be wrong about it? I'll await my gold at your convenience.

> More blood has been shed in the name of religion than for any other false cause. Millions of lives lost over adsurb belief systems that are completely made up by man as time passes. How many have died in the Atheist cause? Tens maybe?

Total and complete BS. Athiest regimes have killed orders of magnitudes more people in just the 20th century than religions have throughout history. But the very fact that you make that argument means you won't listen to reason on the matter.

> I'll respect your beliefs when you stop flying planes into buildings, bombing women's clinics, persecuting gays & lesbians, and molesting children under the name of your made-up "religion.

Since neither I nor Dino have done any of those things, I could assume you'll start immediately. But I know better.

And on that note, I expect Scott will have to close the thread. Everyone please note that I've done my best not to be the cause.

> But in all honesty I think It would be disrespectful for me to lie to you and pretend that I respect some of your beliefs. The same goes for JD,

No, TA, I don't expect you to lie about the matter. I understand that you can't bring yourself to respect a belief you feel is wrong, and wouldn't want you to.

The best I can hope for is that you accept that it is not an unreasoning belief, but one reached after long and careful consideration of the facts involved. It is possible for reasonable people to disagree and reach different conclusions.
gus3

Apr 11, 2013
4:56 PM EDT
"Psychotic"?

I didn't know we had any MD's in Psychiatry here.
JaseP

Apr 11, 2013
5:07 PM EDT
I have a BA in psychology, ...Does that count?!?!

Guns Don't kill People,... Bullets do. Guns just help them go really, really fast. Religion doesn't make crazy people go insane,... It just helps them get there really, really fast...

Don't blame the tools of people. Blame people who are... well, you know,...
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 11, 2013
5:14 PM EDT
Hi guys and gals..we gotta change the subject pretty please. :-)
BernardSwiss

Apr 11, 2013
6:20 PM EDT
Awww...

... and I was just about to post a longish screed on the phenomenon of atheistic philosophies being practiced as if they were religions...

But it is getting a little heated in here. Oh well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!