This guy is not a guiding post.

Story: Sorting Out the Linux Desktop MessTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
nmset

Apr 05, 2013
6:45 AM EDT
Why should there be only one Linux Desktop flavour ? That fragmentation is great, the core is slippery and there's no unique way of thinking. This guy should stick to whatever suits him and let live.
JaseP

Apr 05, 2013
8:10 AM EDT
Yes. Exactly that.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 05, 2013
9:04 AM EDT
A lot of people cannot stand what they see as "chaos". They crave order, and their phobia induces them to impose that order on everyone else too.
gus3

Apr 05, 2013
4:17 PM EDT
"Hey, buddy, I got yer order right he-ah!"
caitlyn

Apr 10, 2013
2:37 PM EDT
Robert Pogson is right. There is no mess. Doing away with choice is never a good thing. I really believe some people would be much happier if their lives were ordered and dictated to them. Freedom? It's a confusing mess.

tracyanne

Apr 10, 2013
5:37 PM EDT
Quoting: There is no mess.

I was about to say the same thing.... In fact if it wasn't for the Linux "desktop mess", I might not have sold my neighbour on Linux (Ubuntu). I installed Ubuntu and then installed the Cinnmon desktop over the top. Why Ubuntu? Because it has the Ubuntu Software Centre, with commercial and Free Software applications, so she can purchase commercial application direct through the software centre, rather than go on line and perhaps get shonky software.

The really great thing about the Softweare Centre is I can educate people like her about security in a way that they are responsive to, because they get their gratification, and can do it safely.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!