Interesting as a curiosity

Story: An Open Letter to Richard StallmanTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
r_a_trip

Apr 19, 2013
7:27 AM EDT
I have to admit that G'Nix has a ring to it. However, I don't think it will ever be widely used to denote GNU + Linux. Most people don't use GNU/Linux. LiGNUx didn't fair any better.

For better or worse, Linux is synonymous with the traditional GNU/Linux distribution. That is why people don't say about their smartphones that they use Linux, but Android. Android is not GNU/Linux.
notbob

Apr 19, 2013
9:25 AM EDT
Agree.

I don't even use Linux, the lower case linux seemingly more appropriate. While I wholeheartedly subscribe to RMS's general philosophy, I feel I must pay homage to the man who loosed the now raging bull, Linus. Besides, while I really don't care if others adopt linux or not, that slight streak of BSD devil or linux demon that remains with me still likes to see the word "linux" stick in other people's craw. ;)
mrider

Apr 19, 2013
9:47 AM EDT
I'm with you (edit) r_a_trip - I would have liked to see that catch on originally. But I fear the horse has already left the barn.

(edit reason) I must have had that tab open and unread for a while. I didn't realize that notbob had also posted, and it made my post somewhat confusing. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!