Summary of a Dedoimedouche Review

Story: elementary OS 0.2 review - UphillTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Jeff91

Apr 25, 2013
4:51 PM EDT
Doesn't include flash? What a cr@ppy operating system! You should include that licensed, closed source software by default!

Doesn't include closed source codecs? What a cr@ppy operating system! You should include that licensed, closed source codecs by default!

Doesn't include samba shares enabled OOTB? What a cr@ppy operating system! Don't you know everyone uses Windows shares as their primary use of file sharing? I use them and so should you!

And it pretty much goes on in this fashion. Basically if an operating system isn't configured for every task Dedoimedouche deems needed OOTB it must be fairly useless.

If this guy spent half as much time contributing to FOSS as he does complaining about it we would have a lot more software.

~Jeff Hoogland
jdixon

Apr 25, 2013
8:09 PM EDT
> If this guy spent half as much time contributing...

Those who can, do. Those who can't... become critics.
JaseP

Apr 26, 2013
9:51 AM EDT
What I find ironic is that he reviews a "minimalistic" OS and then derides it for not being more full-featured... Somehow, I don't think he's the target audience for this distro...
gary_newell

Apr 26, 2013
11:49 AM EDT
I think it is all about setting expectations.

In my review of PCLinuxOS I was expecting it to do all the things I wanted because it is aimed at people who don't want to ferret around to find solutions on forums to common tasks. To be fair in that regard it delivered.

In other reviews if I am writing about Arch or Manjaro etc I read the website of the distribution and see what the intention is and then my expectations are set.

If the distribution fails with the goal it set for itself then it is only right to say so. I can't say either way when it comes to Elementary because I haven't used it and I haven't read their documentation.

If as critics we say everything is brilliant then it detracts from the distributions that do work well and doesn't really help the distributions that aren't doing as expected.

Jeff91

Apr 26, 2013
2:24 PM EDT
@Gary Read some of this guy's cr@p. He review distributions that advertise they come as "minimalist" or without much installed and then he rages about how they are missing things he expects OOTB.

There is no reviewing for the distros target audience - because in his mind he should be the target audience for every piece of software created. If he isn't then the software is a waste of time and a failure.

~Jeff
slacker_mike

Apr 27, 2013
12:54 AM EDT
I think someone has an axe to grind with Dedoimedo. :)

Anyway I find his reviews quite entertaining. I see nothing wrong with expecting things like mp3, flash, and samba working on an Ubuntu fork. Elementary OS seems to me to be targeting new users, so it seems fair to me. The real shortcoming of the review was not stating that this was a Beta release.
Jeff91

Apr 27, 2013
1:55 PM EDT
@Slacker_Mike advertising that you are reviewing an unfinished product would be fair and unbiased. Two things he rarely is.

~Jeff

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!