Best news in a decade

Story: Default to open data: an Executive OrderTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
penguinist

May 14, 2013
11:29 AM EDT
This Executive Order embracing the openness of government data could be a big game changer.
gus3

May 14, 2013
11:40 AM EDT
Quoting:Nothing in this order shall compel or authorize the disclosure of privileged information, law enforcement information, national security information, personal information, or information the disclosure of which is prohibited by law.
In other words, business as usual.

Sorry, I'm just cynical that way.
notbob

May 14, 2013
11:54 AM EDT
Three guesses on who defines "privileged information". Rest assured it's not you and me.
Bob_Robertson

May 14, 2013
3:06 PM EDT
Transparency? Wait, don't tell me, I've heard this before.....
Fettoosh

May 14, 2013
3:49 PM EDT
Quoting:Transparency? Wait, don't tell me ...

What did you expect from a politician @Bob_R! But you have to be fair and admit, It is a good move for FOSS.

DrGeoffrey

May 14, 2013
4:28 PM EDT
Only time will tell for certain. And even if the current administration is serious about embracing openness, this does not preclude the next administration (or, for that matter, Congress) from later reversing course.

(I haven't seen any pigs flying lately. Anyone else?)

Still, there's no harm in dreaming.
Bob_Robertson

May 15, 2013
8:56 AM EDT
Peter Quinn's career was not destroyed for nothing.
gus3

May 15, 2013
6:38 PM EDT
So you're saying there IS an upside?
caitlyn

May 17, 2013
7:40 PM EDT
Quoting:Only time will tell for certain. And even if the current administration is serious about embracing openness, this does not preclude the next administration (or, for that matter, Congress) from later reversing course.
That pretty much sums up my feelings and opinion on this. I'm both hopeful and deeply skeptical at the same time.
linux4567

May 18, 2013
1:41 PM EDT
Sorry to be very pessimistic, but I can't see a government that is being exclusively run by and for corporate and military-industrial interests to ever embrace true openness (and I'm not referring specifically to the current government but to all governments of the last decades at least).

Without a true change in the way the country is run, there will never be any true openness.
caitlyn

May 18, 2013
2:20 PM EDT
@linux4567: Having been involved in a political campaign last year (a friend ran for state house) and in some issues oriented campaigns in the past I'm not quite convinced that it's all for the corporate and military interests. The Pentagon sure didn't want the additional cuts under the sequester. I still see both major political parties responding to voters and public pressure, at least to some degree. Are corporate and military interests unduly powerful in the U.S. right now? I'd say yes. However, I don't think it's quite so bad that positive change is impossible.
jdixon

May 19, 2013
10:18 AM EDT
> I'm not quite convinced that it's all for the corporate and military interests.

Agreed, caitlyn. The influence of corporations (outside Goldman Sachs and their ilk) on the US government is overstated. And the military is the tool of the politicians, not the other way around.

To the extent that their interests agree, both corporations and the military complex do have influence with the politicians, but to their interests do not always agree.
DrGeoffrey

May 19, 2013
4:09 PM EDT
Quoting:their interests do not always agree.

And therein lies the people's chance.

"of the people, by the people, for the people"

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!