This is getting tedious

Story: Is Canonical Truly Insolvent, or Was the Full Story not Told?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
oldjohnno

May 31, 2013
3:58 AM EDT
Am I the only one getting tired of Mr Schmitz continually criticizing Ubuntu/Canonical? I'm by no means a Ubuntu fanboi - I don't even use it - but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what Shuttleworth has done to make desktop Linux more mainstream. Schmitz has often stated his preference for an RPM based distro (which is fine of course) but always feels the need to knock not just Ubuntu, but now also Canonical itself. Maybe he is just being deliberately inflammatory in order to generate page hits, I don't know. I do know it's getting monotonous. Personally I hope Shuttleworth succeeds, and see little point in casting doubts on the solvency of a privately owned company.
kikinovak

May 31, 2013
4:37 AM EDT
Honestly, I don't know why LXer keeps feeding this troll.
Dietrich

May 31, 2013
9:49 AM EDT
What a bunch of nimrods.

How about actually reading for 'comprehension'?

fyi, it's another website's report with 'more information' concerning my story.

http://thenixedreport.com/news.php?item.20.2

You Folks who just come here to 'take shots' at people contribute nothing to the quality of this fine website.

jazz

May 31, 2013
10:54 AM EDT
You are pathetic.
flufferbeer

May 31, 2013
12:46 PM EDT
I actually agree with two opinions here:

1) Baboontu/(screwbuntu) gets FAR too much attention here, as does the "new Bill Gates" M$huttlewroth

2) Like Schmitzie above, I also appreciate the quality of the fine website http://thenixedreport.com/news.php?item.20.2 . It's good to know that The *nixed Report is all out to get the facts on the matter from the getgo!!

2c
Dietrich

May 31, 2013
1:09 PM EDT
@flufferbeer

1) The numbers obtained from the website in my story are bona fide and speak for themselves. 2) Canonical Ltd's explanation is prevarication.

They are over-extended, debt-laden and must get traction with a paying product to have a ROI. The bubble is going to burst. Soon.

jdixon

May 31, 2013
2:26 PM EDT
> What a bunch of nimrods.

You know, no one is forcing you to hang out here with us.
Dietrich

May 31, 2013
3:19 PM EDT
@jdixon

Again someone who has nothing substantive to say.

You don't like me 'hanging out'? What do you think this is? Your clubhouse?

Too bad for you. Read a book.
Dietrich

May 31, 2013
3:22 PM EDT
@jazz

Feeling antagonistic? That's not nice. And it does nothing to contribute to constructive dialog. But then, you know that. You and the rest have nothing. Shooting blanks.
djohnston

May 31, 2013
4:29 PM EDT
@Dietrich,

Since the other thread is now closed, I'll respond here. No, I most certainly do not want to be your penpal. Or converse further with you in any way. It's a waste of my time. You're consistently antagonistic towards almost everyone and hypocritical in what you say and do.

kikinovak is right. Don't feed the troll.

lietkynes

May 31, 2013
4:35 PM EDT
Hm...hard to ignore. I'll try harder the next one.

jazz is probably fed up with you. _You_, yourself do little to contribute to constructive dialog. He is correct in his statement that you are pathetic. Should he have said it so bluntly? At this point, it probably doesn't really matter. To you an expletive is unrecognisable from constructive criticism.

You trully believe that annoyance develops from a vacuum? You are the only blogger that drags such levels of criticism. In part due to the lack of research and understanding behind your opinions, but mostly because of your inability to take criticism. And no, I am not talking about the most vocal of people here, I'm talking about people who were absolutely cordial when expressing their constructive words. Other bloggers have had opinions as controversial as some of yours, to little reaction from the crowd.

"the rest", the fact that you use this term should raise some flags in anyone with an iota of self-awareness.

"shooting blanks", again, you imply that all this developed from nothing. I guess age does not beget wisdom.

I know that to you, all criticism looks like a blob of "hot air" and don't even bother to read it. Why do I bother, myself? Let me sleep on this one. People are probably as tired of my verbosity as they are of your lack of integrity (etc,etc).

PS: I hope you enjoy this one as much as you did my other posts. :D
skelband

May 31, 2013
6:47 PM EDT
> They are over-extended, debt-laden and must get traction with a paying product to have a ROI. The bubble is going to burst. Soon.

That's pretty typical of a start up looking to the long term. Canonical may succeed or it may fail, but ultimately, they are playing a long game, fed by a multi-billionare. It's his money, and I suspect it is much like a hobby for him.

On the other hand, Canonical is putting a lot into the exposure and popularity of Linux distros on the street as well as providing a base for a number of re-spins which are very popular with niche users.

I think though, your biggest misconception is that Linux is a "cause". You might view it that way, and indeed you may have a personal cause, but to most people, programmers and users, there is no cause. The raison d'etre of the Linux distro for most people is a way out of the control of Windows. They don't care about world domination. They just want to get work done in a way that works for them without being told by Redmond that this is the one and only way. For a lot of people, that is not the Red Hat way, it is the Mint way or the Ubuntu way, or the Debian way.

Quite frankly, we have had years and years of the Redmond mono culture in which movement in the computing industry stagnated. Now we have Android, we have a more popular OSX, we have Raspberry Pi, we have an enormous explosion of innovation in no small part due to the fact that we have a thriving culture of different environments.

That you don't understand that one is a feature of the other, it is small wonder that you seem to wish for us to all strap ourselves to a different Red Hat master and toe the corporate line. You have a very narrow view of how the future of computing should be. Unfortunately you do not seem to understand that most other people do not feel the same way. That is something for you to come to terms with.
jdixon

May 31, 2013
8:13 PM EDT
> Again someone who has nothing substantive to say.

I'll leave that for the other readers to decide.

> You don't like me 'hanging out'?

I don't care one way or the other, but you don't seem to think we're worth your precious time, so why waste it?

> What do you think this is? Your clubhouse?

No, I think it's Dave and Bob Whitinger's clubhouse, which they are gracious enough to share with us.

> Too bad for you. Read a book.

I've read lots of them. Here, let me recommend one to you: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565927056.do
BernardSwiss

May 31, 2013
8:31 PM EDT
"May God protect me from my friends;

I can defend myself from my enemies."

-- Voltaire

jazz

Jun 01, 2013
6:52 AM EDT
> Feeling antagonistic? That's not nice. And it does nothing to contribute to constructive dialog. But then, you know that. You and the rest have nothing. Shooting blanks.

Sorry, man, cannot help you, go see a doctor.
Dietrich

Jun 01, 2013
8:48 AM EDT
@jazz More antagonism? That's all you've got.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!