People cling to the familiar

Story: Why Windows 7 Is My Last Stop on the Windows TrainTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jun 05, 2013
11:07 AM EDT
Reading through this guys trials and tribulations, he has no reason to stay with Windows and lot$ of rea$on$ not to do so, yet still he wants to rescue Windows from the evil clutches of Microsoft.

People cling to the familiar.

(duh, this from someone using Trinity-DE to keep that KDE3 feeling....)
jdixon

Jun 05, 2013
1:32 PM EDT
> (duh, this from someone using Trinity-DE to keep that KDE3 feeling....)

Cue the Righteous Brothers. :)
cmost

Jun 05, 2013
8:50 PM EDT
Frankly I have to wonder why this guy didn't ditch Windows back in 2004. I also use a lot of free and open source software including many of the same titles he mentioned and made the permanent switch to Linux in 2004 after Microsoft debuted Windows Activation / Genuine Advantage with Windows XP.

I haven't needed Windows on any of my home computers which includes a server, desktop, and netbook. My years of using Linux and solving issues of running a minority OS in a Windows / Mac dominated world has had the side benefit of turning me into a very serviceable Linux administrator.

My first order of business when purchasing a new portable is to insert my trusty Sabayon DVD or USB stick and overwrite the hard disk with Linux without ever booting into Windows even once. The only reason I have to boot into Windows at home is exactly once a year when I use TurboTax in a VirtualBox Windows workstation. I have also used VirtualBox on occasion to preview versions of Windows Vista, 7 and the horrid Windows 8 and each time I feel a powerful satisfaction at my decision to ditch Microsoft and its proprietary, expensive garbage.

Why waste money on Windows, Office and a raft of costly proprietary software when there are perfectly good free, open source equivalents. I am always surprised when people express shock and awe when I show them my workstation and everything it can do for free! Sure some will bellyache that Gimp doesn't do this or that compared to PhotoShop but sorry, when I'm looking at free versus hundreds of dollars, I can make due and learn to adapt. Ditto for LibreOffice, etc. My advice to disgruntled Windows 8 users is to simply give Linux a try. Chances are there's a friend or coworker who can help install a newbie friendly distro like Linux Mint or Mageia and then make him or herself available to answer questions as they arise.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 06, 2013
9:09 AM EDT
> Why waste money on Windows, Office and a raft of costly proprietary software when there are perfectly good free, open source equivalents.

Ah, yes, well, you know "Windows Is Free"....

http://autotelic.com/windows_is_free

http://autotelic.com/no_really_-_windows_is_free

http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/2011/03/windows-is-not-fr...
hairyfeet

Jun 09, 2013
6:42 PM EDT
Quoting:My first order of business when purchasing a new portable is to insert my trusty Sabayon DVD or USB stick and overwrite the hard disk with Linux without ever booting into Windows even once.
Quoting:Why waste money on Windows

Contradict yourself much?
gus3

Jun 09, 2013
8:15 PM EDT
Con$idering the money one mu$t $hell out to:

(1) protect Window$ from viru$e$, trojan$, and other na$ty malware;

(2) get the application$ to actually get thing$ done; and

(3) pay the extra light bill required to power the d@mn thing (DRM and all that extra junk need electricity to execute, you know)

it isn't at all contradictory to call Windows a waste of money, even if it's pre-installed on the machine.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!