OEMs may embark with...

Story: Is Google preparing to dump Android?Total Replies: 10
Author Content
nmset

Jul 31, 2013
8:33 AM EDT
Canonical and Ubuntu Touch ! Why not ? There's a big software base behind, it's open and GNU/Linux is here to stay.
JaseP

Jul 31, 2013
12:10 PM EDT
Google doesn't need to make money off of Android directly. It makes its money off of the data mining that Android provides by tying in to Google services...
smallboxadmin

Jul 31, 2013
1:00 PM EDT
Quoting:Google doesn't need to make money off of Android directly. It makes its money off of the data mining that Android provides by tying in to Google services...
...and revenue generated by the Google Play Store.
nmset

Jul 31, 2013
1:10 PM EDT
So should we conclude that this new is pure hoax ? I must admit that's what I thought first.
JaseP

Jul 31, 2013
3:15 PM EDT
The "buzz" has been that Google will attempt to merge the Chrome and Android code bases at some point... I don't know if that's true or not...
number6x

Jul 31, 2013
5:06 PM EDT
Microsoft is about to drop surface RT. They have already taken the write-off. Only Dell and MS are still in the RT business. This will be seen as a huge event and be interpreted as impending doom for MS.

In order to cloud the waters... Expect to see rumors of Google dropping things like Android, Search and Gmail products, as well as rumors of Apple dropping iPod and iPhone products.

Then MS can say, of course we drop products nobody wants, look at Google and Apple... They're rumored to be dropping some products too!
TxtEdMacs

Jul 31, 2013
6:42 PM EDT
Number Six!

How dare you impugn the good Name of M$. Never, never would they stoop to such low tactics. And I mean Never.

Unless it were of a financial necessity, then they can cite the plans of both Google and Apple to drop products that did not pan out, just as every other rational company does.

Get it? Good now quit spreading malicious rumors, particularly when you are an obvious amateur at this game. Watch M$ and learn how it is done professionally and with great finesse.

As always,

YBT
CFWhitman

Aug 01, 2013
9:54 AM EDT
I want to make clear that I realize the post was tongue in cheek, but I just wanted to address any real thought about Microsoft dropping Surface RT.

I don't see Microsoft dropping RT any time soon. They would have to concede the tablet space to others and return to the desktop.

If you're talking about them dumping only the devices that are exclusively RT, then they really have no good reason to do so. They need the app ecosystem to support any kind of tablet device. There's no good reason not to keep the possibility of an RT only device. They may throttle it down until the apps have more traction, but they're not going to drop it altogether.

Also, Microsoft sees RT as the key to convergence between their phones and tablets, as well as even desktop computers. To give up on RT would be to give up not only on tablets, but phones as well. They're not ready to concede defeat in both markets.
hughesjr

Aug 01, 2013
3:38 PM EDT
WRT drop Android ... why would they do that.

Fully 80% of new smartphone shipments worldwide are Android. That makes perfect sense, quit when you are growing by leaps and bounds:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57596548-94/android-nabs-re...
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 01, 2013
4:04 PM EDT
Google will not drop Android. They want to sell mobile advertising, and this is a market for potential advertisers.
gus3

Aug 01, 2013
4:41 PM EDT
Quoting:How dare you impugn the good Name of M$.
They do a fine job of it on their own. They don't need our help.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!