Wow!

Story: Why Mark Shuttleworth Is Important to Desktop LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
r_a_trip

Aug 02, 2013
3:52 AM EDT
We really have lost sight of why we have distro's, don't we? The goal was to provide a free operating system to users and developers. Different distro's have different defaults to suit different needs. While distro's are not binary compatible and they differ in composition, historically, they all draw from a common pool of upstream sources and they all offer a broad selection of the available FOSS software.

Somehow, along the way, the goal seems to have shifted towards getting marketshare and getting a majority of computer users on something, anything that runs a Linux kernel, regardless of the compromises made to shoehorn a Linux based thing into the consumer market.

Android is a Linux based thing, but the community accepts the huge market share gingerly as a "Linux" success, as Android is a shadow of the vision behind Free Software and Open Source.

When it comes to Ubuntu, it started out as a (GNU/)Linux distro, but increasingly it is becoming a Linux based thing. Linux maybe powering it on the lowest levels, but it is slowly moving away from what we understand as a distro. Maybe that is a compromise that needs to be made if you want to capture a market that doesn't care what powers their digital life. It is a far cry from what a healthy distro ecosystem could have been.

In essence, I believe, we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. What does the GNU/Linux community gain if another "Android" arises in the form of Ubuntu? They say that the tide raises all boats, but Ubuntu moors more and more often in a different (foreign) harbor than the GNU/Linux boats.

We'll eventually get to a situation, where we will have a behemoth Canonical (instead of MS) providing a Linux kernel powered Ubuntu OS (with some degree of freedom) that on a grey day in the past used to be a Linux distro. Then we will have the GNU/Linux distro's, who will be exactly where they we're in the days of MS, toiling away to compete with the ubiquitous Ubuntu, while not being able to make use of the incompatible and vast Ubuntu software catalog.

The only difference and a big, beneficial one, is that the more stuf uses a Linux kernel, the more drivers for devices will be written for Linux.
CFWhitman

Aug 02, 2013
8:52 AM EDT
I wanted to correct the notion that distributions are not binary compatible. In general distributions are binary compatible (as long as you don't change hardware architectures of course). They may not have a version of the same package manager, and they may not have some libraries installed, but technically, those things could be overcome by installing the missing libraries and installing the contents of a package manually (or installing the missing package manager). They don't constitute binary incompatibility.
djohnston

Aug 02, 2013
5:08 PM EDT
Quoting:In general distributions are binary compatible (as long as you don't change hardware architectures of course).

Yep. I have temporarily used unmodified Debian libraries in a running PCLinuxOS in order to overcome a printer problem. It worked perfectly. The PCLinuxOS devs later corrected the printer setup problem which rendered using the Debian libraries moot.
JaseP

Aug 02, 2013
7:52 PM EDT
It isn't always 100%, though,... It's not so much a binary executable problem as it is a system architecture problem... The more a thing is tied into the system architecture changes of a distro, the less likely it is to work on another... I've run into this in the (fairly distant) past...
r_a_trip

Aug 03, 2013
5:52 AM EDT
Yes, I'm aware that you can Frankenstein your setup, but the burden of keeping it all running increases with the amount of "foreign DNA" introduced. Used as is, a foreign package will probably not work out of the box.
jdixon

Aug 03, 2013
11:25 AM EDT
> Yes, I'm aware that you can Frankenstein your setup, but the burden of keeping it all running increases with the amount of "foreign DNA" introduced.

Depends. Did you create a package for your system from the installation? If so, it will largely handle keeping it running for you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!